Source for G10 material?

dchristman

• Baller
@eleeski I am not familiar with this stuff however I am intrigued. My daughter is very small 4'2" and 56lbs but is making much better progress on a larger ski than the small 59" Jr Siege that we got her. My issue is that she really likes the Jr bindings on the Siege but I don't think they will fit the Senate I want to put her on. These X-9 bindings are molded into their plates so my thought was to mount those onto another wider plate to then mount onto the ski. I assume this stuff is light, easy to cut and drill. I am also wondering how thick it should be.

• Baller

I used both the .093 and the .125. I'm now using the. 125 for the Gatorade trick bindings so I have that around to use for normal plates. The thinner plate is lighter but more difficult to countersink properly. If I had a bunch of normal plates to make, I'd buy the thinner but work carefully. Instead, I'm using the thick plates and drilling lightening holes - lots of work.

Properly fitting bindings are very important.@fu_man Do what you need to get interchangeable boots that she likes. It sounds like you are on a good track.

Eric

• Baller

A go to source for all things G10: McMaster-Carr

It is sorted under Garolite in their Raw Materials section. Or just use the link:

McMaster

They are a distributor and do an excellent job if you are looking for less than full sheet sizing. FYI, G10/FR4 for the purpose of binding plates is equivalent to standard G10, the FR4 is a designation for flame retardant. Also, G10/FR4 is often less expensive than standard G10 (supply and demand).

There are lots of other good sources our there as well. Look for certifications to MIL-I-24768 to ensure good quality material with minimum strength requirements.

• Baller

I'm using a 2mm g10 sheet for my RTP and another 2mm on top of it shaped around the pad and the rubber. I piece them together with 3 screws, one in the center, one in front and one in the back with sets of 3 holes for rotation.

It's still a very flexible setup which allows me to rotate my RTP to a preferred position and be able to move it forward or backwards in small increments.

This is my third season on it an it doesn't break.

I do not trust the 2mm for the front binding so I use a 3mm plate.

• Baller

I ended up buying a couple sheets .125x12x24 from McMaster-Carr. ePlastics had lower pricing, but shipping for the 2 sheets would have been $30. More than half the cost of the product. Although the sheets were a little more from McMaster, shipping was only $7.... CA to PA vs. NJ to PA I guess. The disconcerting thing about ordering from McMaster is they don't tell you what the cost of shipping is until after they have already shipped and charged the order. They said they had the best negotiated shipping rates, so I took them at their word.

I'm not sure how I'm going to cut it yet, but I found this video on cutting G10 with a variety of hand tools. It may be helpful in deciding what to use if anyone else is considering making your own plates with this stuff:

Thanks for your input guys. Now I'm almost ready to get going with my winter binding project!

• Baller

I ended up buying a couple sheets .125x12x24 from McMaster-Carr. ePlastics had lower pricing, but shipping for the 2 sheets would have been $30. More than half the cost of the product. Although the sheets were a little more from McMaster, shipping was only $7.... CA to PA vs. NJ to PA I guess. The disconcerting thing about ordering from McMaster is they don't tell you what the cost of shipping is until after they have already shipped and charged the order. They said they had the best negotiated shipping rates, so I took them at their word.

I'm not sure how I'm going to cut it yet, but I found this video on cutting G10 with a variety of hand tools. It may be helpful in deciding what to use if anyone else is considering making your own plates with this stuff:

Thanks for your input guys. Now I'm almost ready to get going with my winter binding project!