Power shells with Stealth plate

Stick

• Baller
I am currently using the stealth plate system with Radar vapor boots. I had snapped my leg in half at the ankle on the Power shell and interloc system. 4 operations later , 3 plates , bone graft, and a boat load of screws I am back swerving. Love the Stealth system and have tested many time with no injuries. I just couldn't get use to the boots. Like my set up but would prefer a hardshell on the Stealth plate. Has anyone used a brand of hard shells on the stealth plate and would recommend?

• Baller

This is my Hermon Munster (Snow Ski Boots) Fogman setup. I am bone on bone and very arthritic in my left ankle (front). This is the only set up I found that are high enough and stiff enough to keep my ankle locked down enough to let me ski with out to much pain. I can run 28 off at 32 mph in these. Took me a season to get to that in these very stiff boots. I only went to these as a last resort and do not recommend this unless a person needs the ankle very immobile to ski and due to long learning curve at least for me. They are very difficult to do deep water starts and off side turn is very hard to get ski and boots tuned too. I know this is not the information you wanted but I thought you might like to see the extreme side of what you can do with a Fogman.7xrqrq4ncyfm.jpg

mmo6lviifuqf.jpg

• Baller
@Ipskier I'm not sure what heel cups are or why you need them on a stealth plate. I am in a similar situation whereby the stealth boots are falling apart and I can no longer purchase them. I was hoping powershells or reflex would be easy to retro fit.

• Baller
@Stick @JJR you can use almost any hard shell on the Fogman plate, Power Shells, Reflex or OB4. The heel cups they are referring to are aluminum brackets to stiffen the heel of the shell. That is not a required part to use any of the shells, but it does make the boot feel more responsive in side to side movement of the foot. Any shells without the brackets will have a slight more lateral flex and reduce the sensitivity to lateral movements.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Administrators

Water skiing is a dangerous sport. There is risk of injury or death with any and all binding systems. Commercially manufactured bindings do not remove all risk but these systems were conceived by professionals.

If you choose to use homemade bindings or a binding system in a way that it was not intended and you get tragically injured it is your own damn fault. I am personally concerned that less advanced or knowledgeable skiers will read this thread and be injured as a result.

If you break your legs you can attempt to sue BallOfSpray but there are no assets to be had. (I am currently upside-down on 3 mortgages.)

• Baller

I think they're mutually exclusive, but you're the lawyer :)

edit: Yes now that I think about it, it should be and . There is a risk of both simultaneously. Although I would think you could only sue for one or the other.

I just checked an Approach Binding - it says or. It sure as hell did injure me, but I'm not dead yet!

• Administrators
@dchristman my message is really that there is risk. If you do not know what you are doing ride factory bindings (the way they say to use them)

• Baller
I am well aware and take full responsibility for my actions. Anything I do is my fault. I contacted the manufacturer after my accident and spoke to the president to ask for any help getting back on my ski. He suggested a higher cuff for the boot which would protect the ankle. I was impressed as all I wanted was to get back on my ski. Silly me! Once he determined I wasn't looking for financial compensation he wouldn't return my calls or emails. So hopefully you understand why I am trying to go it alone. I'm taking the initiative to solve my problem. If you still got the rope you still have hope. It's all good. :)

• Administrators

@Stick why not just just use the Radar boots the way they are designed. If you run the lower lace pretty snug and the top lace a little loose you they are a pretty darn safe binding. That is what I used for years and I still suggest for a simple safe binding.

The Radars are safe, comfortable and there is nothing mechanical to maintain.