Gas Gauge Broke 2004 SN 196

jetpilotg4

• Baller

Just wondering who had issues with their gauge on the SN 196. Mine stopped working a few weeks ago ( yes the thought occurred it seems like its been a while since we gassed the boat ) just wondering if its the gauge in the dash that goes bad, or possibly the transducer in the tank .... thoughts on what goes the first, and the easiest to troubleshoot. Sunny and 75 here

Thanks

• Baller
My gauge acts goofy on my '04 as well. I believe the float on the sending unit is sticking on the shaft. Is there a fix for that? What is up with the $200+ sender price? Special length for custom tank?

• Baller
@wawaskr i broke down and bought a new sending unit but to no avail , still no working gauge. The float on the one i pulled out was worn to say the least... I was on planet nautique and theres a few posts about a bad faria gateway box creating gauge issues.. No one has replyed to my question if the gas gauge gets affected by this ... Yet ... Apparently the water lines from pitot tubes go directly into this box at transom in the rear locker in our boats. Tubes are rubber , rubber cracks and water gets into electrics never a good mix ..... The replacement for the box on nautique parts is 1k .... I need to get more frustated with it before i check the box or throw a grand at it

• Baller
@jetpilotg4 - pretty sure my is a mechanical issue with the float. I have an SE model (analog gauges - chosen for simplicity, and to avoid the things you describe) and do not have pitot tubes on mine. My gauge will work, and then it will stick on Empty. Sometimes it pops back and starts working again. Pretty sure the float gets hung up on the sender shaft.

• Baller

jetpilot,

What was the measured resistance of the float/sending unit as Fast351 inquired? You can replace parts and hope for a solution but troubleshooting this methodically will save you money in the long run.

The float for the tank goes up and down (obviously) as the fuel level changes, giving a change in resistance, and the gauge simply responds to these changes in resistance.

You can buy a digital voltmeter at most Radio Shacks or Auto parts stores for less than $50.

rpg

• Baller

ditto what @rpg stated. Ohm check sending unit before replacing. It may not be worth pursuing. Save $ for more pertinent repairs.

Although the gauge is functional (from time to time) on my '03 I just pull back the carpeted panels hiding the tank and can view the gas level through the white polyethylene tank.