Need help picking out ski for pre-teen

Cal69

First post here so go easy... :smile:

My 10 year old daughter learned to single last year at the age of 9. She has been on an old junior HO ski (59") with an adjustable front and RTP - the only ski we had around her size. She is currently able to cut across the wake and improving (behind a '92 PS 205).

Looking to get her a better ski that she can expand on & will carry her for a few seasons. I'm currently on a 2014 Radar Senate & don't think she is quite ready for something like that...

She is 5ft tall and about 80 lbs - growing fast. No course passes for her for a few years. Just free skiing for now.

Any recommendations on a good ski that won't break the bank? I do not want to spend $400-$500 on a ski she will outgrow in 2-3 years. Hoping to keep it under $250.

Thanks!

• Baller
My son did very well on the O'Brien Jr Siege. I saw other kids do well on that ski too. He ran 30 mph longline with it (the ski is capable) but I replaced with an upgrade we he turned 11. Good ski for the price, assuming it is still out there. Your HO may be comparable, and a Senate (friend's kids use one and love it at longline, my son tied his PB @15off when he tried it) may be a better long term option with some more time on the HO. My friend got a last year's model Senate at a huge discount. These are just my kid and kids I know, and you know your daughter best, so please consider these points nothing more than data.

• Baller

Fan of Radar Awesomeness though a small lyric will probably see her out for the next four or five years. In part I think that if they love the ski they will more likely want to ski on it and look after it. My son who is now eight is running the full course 31km on the 18m line on the Awesomeness and loves that ski. We are thinking a year old Lyric for our six year old because she loves the graphics and we know its the same mould as the Awesomeness. These ski will have to last them for at least five years.

At low speeds there is enough ski to keep them on top of the water and plenty of capacity when the speed increase.

• Baller
At that age, and the rate of growth and improvement, you wont get 3 years out of any ski. If they are not in the course yet, stay on what they are on. At slow speeds and long lines, the skis are not the factor. Teach them proper body position. Or...... Just go out and buy them the most expensive ski you can find.

• Baller

There are lots of options for her right now. I bought skis off ski-it-again for my son when he was that size. I just saw a 64"D3 Z7 for $145 http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Slalom&postid=35925. There is also a 63" HO Slash and a 65" HO Couture which might work if she isn't going to be in the course for a couple of years.

Lots of used options out there. I started my son on a 63" HO wide ride ski but he was a little heavier and running the course. I went from that to a 65" D3 X5.

• Baller_

A 59" ski for those speeds is way too small and she will be struggling at the wakes and sinking in the turns. She will progress much faster on a 64-65" ski. My preference is anything D3 since they are forgiving and easy to ride. Others have had success with radar, but the right size is more important than brand at this point.

If she was around 30mph at 80 lbs, a 62" would be the right size, but she will probably be a little heavier by then so you will want to stay in the 64" range.

You should be able to find something on ski-it-again without breaking the bank.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
@Cal69 I don't know if you are new here or if it is just your first post but @Bruce_Butterfield is an excellent person to take advice from on this topic. Bruce is a great skier and has taught his kids to be outstanding skiers.