Any one ski a public course in California?

mwfillmore

• Baller

@mwfillmore - PM me, I can put you in touch with the folks at New Melones. Not sure if they have a picture of the sign, but I bet they have info on the language used.

@Hallpass - New Melones is funded and maintained by a the New Melones Waterski Club. The course is open to the public (requirement of the BOR).

I believe Nacimiento had some language that would not have been applicable on many other lakes. The lake is managed by counties (its a weird setup) and they were able to get an enforceable no wake zone inside the course area. That was not the case with signage or enforcement at New Melones.

• Baller

@mwfillmore - "near" Folsom or "on" Folsom (Lake)? That would be very cool for the region.

Slight digression - We had a coach/driver at Bell Acqua Lake 1 this year - Craig Irons from Adelaide, Australia. He did a great job of getting the word out to the skiing public that Bell Acqua was available for ski rides, coached or not. I was really surprised to see how many new faces we had show up at the lake to take a set. I can't help but think that if someone would just lead the charge in getting the word out that a course is available to the public that we'd have a lot more skiers.

@lpskier - Pinnacles is in the vicinity of Folsom? Pinnacles is in the Coast Ranges southeast of Monterey. It's over 3 hrs away, but you're right, it is a cool place for sure.

• Baller
It would be great to have a course on Folsom. But there is really no place to put one other than a 5 mile zone. The only cove I know of that would work gets shallow early on. I used to put a portable in and ski early weekdays . I got ticketed by the sheriff for obstructing a water way. Never did it again.

• Baller

@mwfillmore New Melones had a course for years but it is still high and dry due to the drought and the Feds sending all our water from last winter to LA under the premise of 'save the fish' or something.

Don Pedro had plenty of water last summer and I am curious about a course there due to the private lake I ski at being sold and no longer operating in the next couple of years. Pedro had one for many years but I don't know who maintained it. If you've seen the ski movie 'Edged in water 2' the last scene is Don Pedro. Pretty cool from France to 'Hill Billy ville' -Cali foothills!

I live in Sonora and was a member of the Melones club for a bit but I have no hopes of having enough water there for many years due to the lake levels