PCM new 5.3L and 6.2L engines - will they fit in 1997-2015 Ski Nautiques?

dbutcher

• Baller
Does anyone know if the new PCM engines will bolt right up in older Nautiques? If one wanted to repower an older Nautique to get Zero Off, could a 5.3 or 6.2 be used? Would there be any other issues such as too much power for the older hull?

• Baller

@ozski Business case? I just want ZO in my old American Skier. If it fits better and is lighter, I'd consider it. Unless I can buy a new boat for less.

Really want a V6 ZO compatible engine. Any ideas?

Eric

• Baller

I can get anything. Whether it is ZO compatible is the question. I do have a Chevy transmission adapter so that would be easy.

Volvo has a marinized V6 with fuel injection. I don't know if it is ZO compatible. Waiting for the ZO guys to call back.

Eric

• Baller

There are advantages to a smaller boat. Maybe. I want to experiment.

Plus the old American Skier has one of the best technical trick wakes. And it needs a new engine anyhow.

What is the base of the 5.3?

Eric

• Baller_

d6sc5q5kvt8b.jpg

Sorry trans flange on the Chevy 5.3/6.2 is the same as it has been since 1955. Yes a new generation pcm will fit but keep in mind PCM still does offer non cat Excalibur /ZR6 in a repower application. Installing a new 5.3 or 6.2 H series engine would require a modified engine box and exhaust system. Also keep in mind PCM did their homework when it comes to re powering as in most cases very little if any extra fabricating is in involved and instalation is plug and play.

• Baller_
Depends on what came out and what is going in. As for the transmission it remains in the original location. PCM offers chevy to ford adapter mounts on both the sbc and LS. Installing a PCM sbc in place of a indmar I use the indmar mounts. Down angle applications may require omitting the oil drain kit as hull clearance could come into the equation.

• Baller
I am curious as to why the new engines require a dramatically bigger motor box. According to PCM's website, the 5.3 and 6.2 are only 1/2 inch wider than the 5.7 EX343, 3/10 inches longer than the EX343, but SHORTER in height by over 5 inches. Did Nautique place the new engines higher above the bilge floor? I have only seen one 2016 SN200 with the 5.3, and its motor box clearly looks bigger, especially taller. Why so much taller?

• Baller_
@dbutcher: the engine will bolt right up, it is the rest of the installation that is not a simple carryover. One reason for larger engine box is size of Cats. The GM Powertrain description of each of the configs leads one to see a larger size discrepancy in height / width than the numbers you quote, not sure why but I would assume the PCM numbers should reflect their final product. There is a lot of additional hardware on top of the valve covers compared to the old SBC so that will push width / height out also. If they are making engine box LSA compatible, that is also a reason for increased size as the supercharger sits on top.

• Baller

@lcgordon My American Skier is a 79. Great trick boat but some spray at shortline slalom. Fixing that is part of the experiment. Your boat is better for slalom and still very good for tricks. Either is worthy of a ZO engine.

The American Skier has been reengined once already. The cover didn't fit despite everything nearly the same. The covers are custom engineered to fit perfectly. Small changes interfere with the clearances. Fitting the cover will be a challenge.

Eric

• Baller
@DW Thank you. I had not looked at GM Marine's website. I knew there had to be a reason for the taller motor box. I would hope that Nautique would use a different motor box for the super charged engines. The lower the motor box is the better it is for skiing (in my opinion). Thanks again.

• Baller_
@gcam4 yes a non cat zr-6 repower will fit in a bubble back SN. That engine would really be over kill in that hull. A repower Excalibur will run that hull right at 50 MPH. A Better bang for the buck....But get em while you can PCM is only going to provide that engine for another couple years and then only part replacement.

• Baller
@Jody_Seal - depends on what you consider overkill! I spent some time behind the wheel of the CCfan boat (409) and it was by far the most fun to drive of all the newer boats. With any luck our reverse gel 01 SN will have a 409 and ZO in the near future.

• Baller
@Jody_Seal @storm34 I would have to say a ZR6 in a late 90's 196 would be impressive! I will say I would rather have that engine architecture instead of the SBC excalibur. On that same note an excalibur would still be quite nice.