When is the Right time to Upgrade ski?

svxwilson

• Baller

Hello,

I have been skiing the course this summer for the first time and have been skiing it at slower speeds to get the timing down and to learn (24-28mph) with the lake masters. I have been making consistent progress every time I can make it out through their instruction.

I weigh 190-200lb and have been skiing with a 69" 2014 HO TX Superlight. I feel the ski has been great to learn on (especially at the slower pace) and to Free Ski on.

Will my ski hold me back when I get to the 30mph+ level?

2 things I have been considering #1 a new ski and if so #2 what length as I am very close to the 67-69" barrier.

Being a multi ski HO owner I have been considering the CX Superlight, V Type R, the new VTX and VTR and am not sure if I should go to the 67,68, or 69 (cx only). Or should I just keep riding my TX?

Other skis i should consider? The lake owner/instructor has a 68" Connolly GT he said he would let me ride if I wanted to try it out.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Aaron

• Baller
There has been a good bit of conversation about the CX and TX on here recently. I believe I saw someone from HO say that over the last couple years that the only real change in that ski has been the graphics. Its a good ski that should take you on up to 34 and shorter lines well. As you get into the 30s, a shorter ski would likely turn better, especially since the TX is wider than the CX? But till then that is a great ski.

• Baller
Skis are like underwear if you have to ask it is time to change. ;) sounds like you don't NEED a new ski but we all love new gear. If it's in the budget try some skis buy a new one and be super excited about skiing for awhile. Remember skiing is suppose to be fun. If a new ski does that for you go for it

Demo - Demo - Demo.

I will say this, when I made the jump from the CX to the V-Type to the A3, I was amazed at the difference I noticed. It is amazing how quick you feel those changes. However, I agree that you should ski the TX into some fast speeds before feeling the need to change. Running consistent 32 MPH passes should be the goal before looking at the higher level skis. I would def move into a Syndicate level from the TX (vs going to a CX - from my experience, not much of a performance jump there).

• Baller

Thank you for the input. I think I am going to hold off on a purchase and just focus on my skiing. Sounds like I have some progress to make before I get a new stick. Gives me more modivation to get to 32mph. Hopefully HO is going to be doing the same demo program next summer too. Who else has a good demo program I should be aware of?

How about changing fin and binding settings? I ride factory fin settings or whatever it came set as I have never changed it. I did move my boots one bolt hole forward shortly after I got it.

@ScottScott yeah the TX is the same shape as the CX just a wider version. I believe HO rated it at 28-32mph and the CX 30-34mph.

• Baller

@svxwilson I am a tinkerer but at the level you are at you should set the bindings and fin to standard settings and ride the ski there. If the TX has an adjustable fin you should definitely get a caliper and make sure the fin is set right plus learn how to measure the fin. Until you are pushing full speed fin changes from standard won't make a huge difference.

For demos D3 has a real good demo program.