Perfect Pass stargazer

Keith_Menard

• Baller
I usually just use simple slalom when free skiing. Practice mode could be useful too as it allows you to adjust in 1mph increments. I wouldn't think the zbox would be a worthwhile investment unless you forsee using it in a course in the near future. This, however, coming from someone who's been called "cheap" more than once!

• Baller
Just use "Simple Slalom" mode for open water skiing, or GPS Slalom if you want to spend some extra time calibrating the speeds you will use. You don't need an actual course to calibrate -- just pick a spot along the shore and "map" a virtual course. You can map both the start and end gates this way so you can calibrate easily going back and forth in both directions. Mapping the "gates" is just to give the system a place to start timing, so it doesn't matter if your virtual course is the actual course length or not.

• Baller

Any of the slalom modes will be fine for free skiing. You have to set up every speed you plan to use with the proper rpm settings. Read the manual on setting up slalom speeds and it'll take 5-10 minutes to set up the speeds. It's not hard and you certainly don't need a real slalom course or even a virtual slalom course...that just adds complexity.

As for Zbox for open water....I'm not sure it'd be worth it. I've skied ZO boats and can feel the difference in settings and I can feel the difference between -, n, +, and ++ settings in PP when in the course. However, when I change the PP settings in open water, I can tell something is different but I can't tell what it is.

• Baller

@BraceMaker That video is only for older versions of Stargazer. Version 8.05 (from 2015) and newer do not have the "capture" method available anymore. If the OP just got a new PP Stargazer system they will have to map a course like I described.

This was very confusing to me at first because I have version 8.05 and kept being told to use the capture method to calibrate by people on MC Team Talk and BOS, but I couldn't find where to do it. I finally contacted PP directly and was told the capture method was no longer available and had to map a virtual course to calibrate.

• Baller

@"Keith Menard" When asking about advice for your PP system it is best to describe the software version you have because I have found there is a lot of advice already posted on BOS and other forums regarding PP but a lot of it won't be relevant to you if the advice is not about your same software version. I have also found the PP tech guys to be very responsive and helpful.

For example, if you have an older version of Stargazer you can use the capture method described above. If you have a newer version you should use the method I described earlier. If you have a newer version with the Simple Slalom mode, you can just use that for open water skiing. Simple Slalom mode just uses pure GPS like the wakeboard mode while GPS Slalom mode uses a combination of RPM and GPS. Any mode using RPMs won't work properly if your system hasn't been calibrated at each speed you want to use.

• Baller

Anyone have any problem with their new Stargazer master module and gauge dying? My gauge went crazy, upside down and backward display, followed shortly by the master module totally going to crap. The gauge still works, but I had to borrow an extra module from a ski partner, so we can use my boat at all.

I talked to the dealer that installed and sold it to me 2 1/2 years ago, and he basically told me to stick it. "It's only guaranteed for a year". I've got $1,300 worth of crap now. But they'll happily sell me replacements. I've got 200 hours on it and the best I get is "well, I don't know what kind of storage conditions the boat has". Garage or boat house, same as yours chief. Usually covered when in either.

I'm looking for a way to be positive about this, but

• Baller

It won't cost you $1300 to replace the gauge and master module. Probably half that. Or they might do something on goodwill. Call PP.

also check your boats electrical system - is your regulator dead (overcharging the battery >14.4 volts when engine running after warm up) do you have wingnuts on your battery? Are you getting things wet (module/display) or storing it in humidity?

Truth is PP is very reliable and there probably is a reason if two PP components have died at a young age.

• Baller

Thanks @GregHind. It's a humid area, for sure, but the master module is on the side bulkhead, beside the drivers leg. I can see the gauge being rained on a couple times, while we're out skiing, but beyond that, nothing that should kill it. I try to let the whole boat vent, before covering when it does get wet. I do see that as a possibility. If all my ski partners though, I'm the one they make fun of for how fastidious I am about my boat.

I'll call PP. I'll definitely not call or buy from my dealer again. And I know that I won't have to repurchase everything, just $800 or so. I'm just of the very strong opinion right now, that $800 every 2 years is a bit steep.

If any of you are considering ordering or having installed, I'd suggest you deal with @Jody_Seal. He's actually offered to help me out, even though I didn't buy it from him. At the time, I couldn't justify a 2:45 one-way trailering. I can now.

• Baller
aupatking's comments inspired me to just do something I've been meaning to do for a year now -- flip my master module so that the wires are plugging in from the bottom rather than from the top as I previously had it. My understanding is that wires coming into the top of the module have a greater chance of causing moisture to get into the master module than if the wires are connecting from the bottom. I also now have a little satisfaction from my master module being attached right side up. Anyway, hopefully the new positioning will help insure a long life for my master module.

• Baller
I know I'm beating a dead horse here but I can't say enough good things about Perfect Pass. Great company to deal with, in part due to their small size. I had an issue when installing mine, called right up to the guys who design the products and they helped me through. Went to order a second master module (for a different boat, not due to malfunction) and they remembered me a year later (or are good actors, either way, hats off to them)! Awesome company, awesome products... and they're Canadian, can't beat that!