Skidoc Orbit or Wakeye for video using an IS camera...

Fast351

• Baller

I'm looking to buy a pylon mount for my camera to record video and hopefully use as self instruction. This is for a 196, not sure it matters.

My ski buddy has the skidoc mount, and it works fine for cell phone video, but the mount isn't strong enough to hold my Canon SX120 which has image stabilization (the reason I want to use it instead of a cell phone).

I know this topic comes up regularly (as recently as May 21st) but the Orbit was pretty darn new back then. Has anyone compared the Wakeye to the Orbit, specifically with a heavier camera/camcorder? I don't mind spending double for the Wakeye, I just want the best mount.

BTW, does anyone know what the weight rating for the Orbit is? It's not listed on their website. (I have an e-mail in)...

Thanks!

• Baller
@Superchicken has a skidoc Orbit and it works great. It's either in the boat or throws it in her bag when she travels. We have used it with a cell phone, Gopro and a standard JVC video camera. Didn't seem to have an issue with any of those. The wakeye mounts I have been around seem to lack durability. We have had a few come apart, but that's using in a tournament. They may be just fine for occasional use.

• Baller

Orbit! I have a multi-camera rig I used with both a contour action camera in burst mode and a large cell phone for video. Mounted them both to the same attachment point on the orbit and had no issue. I've since retired the Contour action cam since it's too "zoomed out" to make decent pics, but I wouldn't hesitate to throw my $3k Canon SLR rig on there and go skiing. Just make sure the pylon clamp is tight. It's a well-built system.

My only issue with the Orbit has been that it sticks a little bit with a lighter skier. It's designed to resist rotation somewhat so it doesn't simply freewheel, but it can be somewhat notchy tracking a 90 lb female. No issues with your average sized gentleman.

• Baller

I just ordered an Orbit. Hopefully it'll show this week and I'll get a chance to use it yet before we have to put the boats away here in Minnesota.

I have a Canon Powershot SX120 and a Canon SL1 DSLR I'm going to try on there to see how the video quality is.

I'll post a review and some pics of the setup when I get a chance!