Changing Course Dimensions

LoopSki

• Baller

I was reading a thread on the Mastercraft Site about short set ups regarding the prostar. Bouyhead mentioned he has skied on a lake that is very short and the entire course is about 90 ft shorter. I would think that would make it weird and harder. He said it didn't but can't imagine how It wouldn't be. Don't know how they spread the shortenings evenly across from gate to gate or some other formula. At first I figured they also brought the turn balls in to compensate. However that wasn't the case.

So this got me thinking. I know of a lake near by. Never been there or know what they use it for. But I does look like a mini ski lake. Google earth dimensions are 1400 and the narrow point is not more than 100 ft.

gbr9dl30prp1.png

So was wondering what thoughts are on shrinking the course proportionally to fit the lake and still have a six bouy course. Instead of an overlapping course which wouldn't help if the site is narrow as well as short. Course to be Shorter and narrower. Could it still be fun ? Would it work? Screw you up to go back to a normal course ?

Just thinking about this out of curiosity. Below I have attached a pic of this lake. Maybe one of you owns it.

• Baller

u6z8kclj809o.png

This is our ski site at the old MasterCraft factory in Maryville, TN. It is a very short lake so we converted to an 8 ball from a 6 ball and it gave us more set up time. As soon as your skier exits the gate you are shutting down.

• Baller

@LoopSki I've always thought it would be cool if we had a "mini" version of the slalom course. It would be shorter, narrower, and I assume the speed and line lengths would be different (slower and shorter), but if it's done right there's no reason it couldn't be just as challenging. It would certainly take some trial and error to get the dimensions figured out.

It could potentially open up skiing to people and places that don't have room for it now, and/or it could be done pretty economically with a 2 point cable system.

• Baller
@AdamCord Years ago the mastermind behind the Fischer Waterski came up with the idea of a mini version - for kids! Less water area, less horsepower hence (way) smaller boats would make the entry to our sport easier in many ways. But since the kids in his club outgrew the project too quickly, it was abandoned before being realized.

• Baller
My system works like a dream it has made a lot of people very happy both in tournaments and in practice. We also have a bright LED light on each end which turns on when the button is pressed, so the driver the skier and the judges know the bouy has gone down and when the light goes out the bouy is back up. We have remotes in the boats for practice and in tournaments it is hard wired to the tower and the officials operate it .

• Baller
@GregHind , seriously 100 ft plenty wide? The lake I posted is a only narrow for a small section. But what about a site that is 100ft wide the entire length? that gives roughly 12ft from shore!! that's a bit scary . You would want a steep shore angle at the very least.

• Baller
Jump on google earth find the berry springs lake and measure it. Australian nationals held there a couple of years ago. There are two lakes side by side and almost all of the slalom is done on the narrow side. I wouldn't want to go much narrower than that lake but it is awesome.