What about Mental Fitness ?

Stevie Boy

• Baller

We all know that you need to be fit to ski, you are never going to get fit water skiing, but what about Mental fitness, we have all seen skiers on the dock just fall apart mentally, normally great skiers when in practice, but when it matters it all turns to mush.

Any Ideas ?

• Baller_
If you figure it out, let me know. It is my number one issue, as evidenced by my long time signature: "The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears." The result is that I will ski very tentatively and choppy, when I should be aggressive and controlled.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

Great question! The mental side of sports is just as important, if not more so than the physical side. There are many good books on sports psychology and "mental toughness" out there. A quick google search will yield a laundry list of reading.

My favorite is "Peak Performance" by Dr. Charles Garfield. It was written in 1985, but still applicable. Well worth it if you get your hands on a copy.

Peak Performance

"The Inner Game of Tennis" is also a proven favorite. Yes, its targeted toward tennis, but 90% of the things in it are applicable to any other sport.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

As some of you may know, I am a Doctoral Student in Sport Psychology at FSU, so basically I am trying to make a career out of making athletes "mentally fit".

I have had the opportunity to write a few things on sport psychology and water skiing (@horton, another one is in the making for BOS), but for now:

Thinking About How To Water Ski: Mental Imagery And The Acquisition Of Skills

Writing About How You Skied: Notes On Note Taking.

It’s on You! The Subjectivity of Technique and Why That Is Exciting

Make The Most Of The Ski Season By Setting The Right Goals

Internal Vs. External Focus: Which Makes The Best Slalom Skier

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.