carpet

lff

• Baller
I have a steam cleaner. I turn up the water heater to hot, pour it onto the carpet and vacuum it. No soap. Soap on carpet will clean it but it also leaves soap residue which will then collect dirt. I have heard from many carpet salesmen and installers that say the same thing. Just hot water with the steam cleaner.

• Baller

My personal experience with a pressure washer in a previous boat: worked great for cleaning the carpets but you have to be very careful where you aim the jet spray, I got a little off and ended up with a cut in the vinyl, I was so distraught I never did it again.

I now just clean and scrub by hand, use a hose to rinse and then use a wet/dry shop vac to remove all the excess water.

• Baller
Definitely need to be careful with a pressure washer, I'd use a 45* tip. Once on a gel coat finish I blew the gel off with a 15* tip. My main concern is filling the foam flotation up with water. Most if not all boats foam is the floor with just a thin layer of epoxy on top then carpet. The epoxy can crack/disbond and allow water intrusion. In this scenario I think a pressure washer would be safer because it's probably putting out a much lesser volume of water.

• Baller
@oldjeep 200's definitely have flotation. I am pretty sure, but not certain the other three approved boats do as well. Just because it may not be required is not a good excuse to build a boat that would sink if swamped (in my opinion).

• Baller

Gentle but effective method used successfully by me for years on convertible car hoods and carpets.

Wash with Milton sterilising fluid or similar ( use at dilution ratio recommended to wash out /sterilise baby bottles)

Agitate with soft brush.

Follow with Johnson Baby Bath ( blue bottle ) again using soft brush.

Cleans and smells nice too.

Rinse with fresh water

• Baller
Its a boat.... hose it out, let it dry. A weak, or wide spray pressure washer should be fine, care to not hit the vinyl and other more sensitive areas. Use some detergent and a little scrubbing for stubborn spots. If any soap is used, rinse it thoroughly, then just let it drain. Speed up the draining with a little squeegee, or a shop vac if you like. Unless there are cracks in the hull, any foam should be sealed in without danger of getting soaked.

• Baller_
Not to throw the thread a diff direction but the MasterCraft at the BBQ fund raiser boarding school has this carpet in it that wasn't carpet but a pad that I can't adequately describe. Not Sea Deck or anything like it and not carpet but very very cool stuff and the most practical thing I've ever seen on the floor of a boat baring future durability. What is it?