Backflip and Reverse Help

arigold22

Hey Ballers! Looking for some trick advice regarding my backflip and Reverse. I am at the point where I can land about 80% of my heelside backflips and occasionally can land a toeside one as well. I always end up riding away with one hand and bouncing back on my butt. Any advice on how to fix this and make my flips more consistent?

I've attached a link to a video which shows what a typical backflip for me looks like followed by the reverse.

Any and all help is appreciated!!

• Baller

Try to bring your knee to your chest about halfway through the first flip, sort of when you feel the rope tighten up at the peak, just draw your knee into your chest. It will allow you to come around slightly earlier, and spot the landing.

On the reverse, just focus on driving your left hip up and away.

I would recommend finding a larger spot on the wake, or adding some weight to the boat for your attempts, the wake seemed somewhat small/fast.

@unksskis weights would certainly help. It's a pretty bare 2014 prostar which has a pretty small wake. Just joined the club and haven't had a chance to buy weights but it's on my list of things to do!

And thanks for the tip on the toeside. I'll have to try thinking about my hip more.

• Baller
@arigold22 what speed are you going? Think about taking your edge all the way up the wake. Looks like you are stopping short of the top and going flat. Possibly don't go as wide and start a little closer to the wake.

• Baller_

Get all your weight on your front foot.

I couldnt get the link to work, but google kevin jack's expert village for advanced waterskiing backflip and reverse.

It looks like you could add some weight to the back of the boat to crisp up the wakes. Theres no limit on weight for practice or to help learn something new:)

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Your video looks just like mine. I focus on front foot weight but seem to revert back to my wakeboarding days right before loading the line and butt skip just like you. When I keep my weight on my front foot my rotation is faster and i land upright with a slight edge back towards the wake preventing me from falling backwards. Keep practicing!

• Baller

Hard to tell on my phone, but it looks like on the hs you are letting the handle get away from you a bit and dropping your hips back. Stand tall and push your hips forward.

On the ts make sure to edge through the top of the wake. You are throwing it at the bottom of the wake.

As others have said, start closer to the wake and really load that line.

@skibackwards @bbirlew good point about my hips. I was trying to think about driving my hips forward as I was coming off the wake but I think I was starting with them so far behind me that it wasn't helping. Looking forward to my next set already!

• Baller

Nice tries. You are doing a lot right. Keep at it.

The heelside flip, you are attacking the wake leaning away in a strong slalom pull. This makes you land away from the boat and butt out. You need the good attack but you can't lean to do it. Keep your core tight and don't spring with your knees, lever yourself off the wake. Ride that lever all the way to the top before you try to flip and spot the landing. Patience! Try to land in a nice smooth carve back into the wake on the front of the ski to stick the landing.

A couple tricks to help. Do a nice progressive attack so your approach is dynamic and controlled as you maximize your angle and front foot load at the base of the wake. Approach with your hands a little lower - it feels a bit stilted but it helps get you out of the slalom lean and loads the front of the ski. Give a little shoulder check with the left shoulder (for LFF) at the base of the wake to get rid of any slalom lean. Then be patient as you lever the ski as high as you can.

Your toeside flip is just thrown. Nowhere near enough air. Make your turn in way more progressive as you load the front and increase the angle. Keep that progressive turn going all the way up the wake. If you are levered well enough you can almost feel the ski carve in the air - keep that carve going all the way up. The flip that way goes easily so you don't have to hurry it at all. Ride the lift as high as you can before going over the top. Don't spring with your knees - it weakens the lever. Tighten your stomach instead.

The prettiest flips are done as layout flips or piked a bit. If you bend your knees to tuck make sure they get straightened out in the air so you have something to absorb the landing with. Also the layout flip tends to be a bit slower rotation so it's easier to be patient and ride the flip all the way up.

Some weight in the boat is standard. An overload to learn flips is helpful. A tower helps some with learning. Kevin Jack's videos are excellent.

You are on a good learning track. Keep at it and enjoy.

Eric

@eleeski thanks for the detailed help!

Things to focus on:

1. tight core throughout the approach and all the way up the wake

2. get over my front foot

3. progressive edge

Does this seem like the correct order to think about things each time I go to try a flip?