HO EXO Binding HELP!!!

kmalak

Ballers,

This morning I had the unfortunate luck of my HO EXO binding release breaking while working on it. This is the main back lock that is used to hold down the rail and contains the springs inside the release system. These bindings are old and outdated making it difficult to find a replacement part quickly and I ski regionals in 2 days. If anyone on the West Coast has used these and has a replacement part that I could buy off them or knows someone who might please reach out (cell # and email below) and let me know! John Horton has also reached out to Sam at HO to see what they can do. Thank you for any and all help!

- Kevin Malak

- (940) twothreeone - 4401

- kevin.m.malak@gmail.com

• Baller
@kmalak I can't help you in that short of time, but I can build you a replacement system using the boots you have now. I have already built a couple of systems for other EXO users. And later you can change the system to use any other boot you want.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

@Glydon I built this system a few years ago using the OB four system, I can make you a similar G10 boot plate to use on the MOB system. Single or double boot system, then when you want to change boots we can just change out the boot plate.

c6p208dt0elq.jpeg

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller
@BraceMaker the EXO boot was made to straddle the boot plate and sit directly on the ski to give you a wide foot print, but your foot is no closer to the ski than other hardshell boots on the MOB boot plate. The MOB boot plate for 2018 has a wider foot print and can fit directly to any hardshell boot or any soft-fit boot made by the various waterski manufacturers, such as Radar, Connelly, O'Brien or HO.

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller

Yes - I am just curious since I see the MOB has more width in the sole plate than does the OB4 design, with the amount of attention the silvretta style release boot mfgs are paying to things like heel cups etc. to try to transfer boot translation into the ski I was wondering if you specifically noticed any improvement of the boot transfer into the ski with the wider footprint of the HO style hardshell vs just having the sole plate on the ski - I could for instance see it impacting release force.

Just curious what you've seen mounting different boots on your systems.

• Baller
@BraceMaker all the hardshell boots are designed for inline skating or ice skating, so they are designed to sit on a narrow support with a raised heel support. For waterski applications, we generally need a wider support and flatter attitude. This has required the various adaptations we have seen in the how the boots are supported. In both the OB4 and the MOB systems the boot is firmly attached to the boot plate, giving it the needed wider foot print in relation to the ski. I have progressed to even wider plates based on feed back from skiers to eliminate any lateral roll. The amount of flex of the boot in relation to the ski is something that affects personal preference and skiing style. Too stiff can cause extreme sensitivity to skier input, while too much movement of the boot in relation to the ski can result in sluggish performance. The silvretta style release with the boot "cup" is very firm in that sense. This can be overcome by using a more flexible boot to accommodate skier preference. From what I have seen the HO boot is more flexible in the upper part than some of the other boots.

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller

I ran this system for a little over a year (stock EXO, no mods). I think it has a lot going for it, particularly in terms of the release system (works as good as Reflex IMO) as well as boot placement - the mounting screws are in a slider which while still very secure allow for you to place your boots _exactly_ where you want them.

That said, I do not recommend this system. The bar that runs the length of this setup connects both the front and rear boot, which in turn affects the flex of the ski. That bar extends a good distance forward and aft of the boots themselves. I may have been faster cross course as a result of the added stiffness however turning was definitely more difficult. I never even thought about this until I read Fin Whispering which discussed this a little in the bindings section, and finally connected the dots in my head. I moved to the Edge binding this season with the Reflex half boot thing in the rear (no idea what this is called actually...it's basically a fancy RTP) and haven't looked back - I turn with much more angle now on both sides.

I think the photo above shows the bar has been modified to actually be in two pieces instead of running the length of the ski? It's a little hard to tell, but this may actually solve my main problem with the system.

Anyway, I've moved on - if anyone wants my old parts, except for the liners (I'm keeping those as spares for my current setup), you are welcome to it. Pay me for shipping only - parts are free. Ships from Ontario, Canada.

• Baller

@Glydon I have to echo @Rob, I tried the Exo system several years ago on the old S1, and it seemed to work fine. Then I moved to the S2, and that was a better ski. When I took the Exo system off of the S2 and put on hardshells that were not connected (i.e., no bar limiting the ski's flex) the ski came alive. I loved it, it was like an entirely new ski and a generational improvement in performance.

The positive about trying the Exo, was that I got a new ski which was greatly overdue at the time and I also ended up on the S2. I just wish I tried a better system sooner. I say this having both ankles surgically repaired, so I am well aware of the risks and know that no binding system is completely safe. Do yourself a favor, move on.