Turning radius of a 2000 Air Nautique/Sport Nautique vs Ski Nautique,etc

sixtowin

• Baller

Hello,

I ski with several people and we trade off boats-these include a 1990 Supra Comp, a 2006 Malibu Response LXI and a 2008 Moomba Outback ski boat. I have noticed when driving these "pure" ski boats that their turning radiuses are much tighter than my 2000 Air Nautique-all of these boats have a better slalom wake but the dramatic difference is in the turning radius. I believe my boat hull is the same as the 2000 Ski Nautique-just stretched to 21.5 feet.

Is it the extra length that accounts for wider turning radius ? I am very happy with my boat but am just curious about this.

Thanks

Sixtowin

• Baller
Big thing is weight distribution. Can't remember, but a 2000 Air Nautique is still a direct drive correct? Your hull is a different shape as well. Similar yes, but with the extra length comes extra weight and tracking characteristics. Engine is a direct drive, but positioned in a different place vs. a SN196. Tracking fin location is also different. Bigger the boat, less handling. You are also carrying those ballast tanks. Your boat is basically a sport Nautique with the extra weight of the ballast system and tower. Hope that helps.

• Baller

Thanks bigskieridaho

This is a direct drive but has never had a tower. Extended ski pylon and hard ballast tanks in the stern locker which have been dry since I have owned the boat.

Everyone that skies behind this Air Nautique says if they were not skiing well they could not blame it on the slalom wake from this boat !