Reflex Spring Replacement.

dillonski17

Does anyone have any insight or tips on replacing my spring for reflex 750 Mechanism. Cant find a single thing from reflex. i have the new spring and am having a hard time both getting the spring around the opening for the nut and it seems it is having a hard time to thread when I have the spring around it as the nut is loose at the bottom. If anyone has tips trick or insight on this I would really appreciate it.

• Baller

Are you having problems taking the old spring off or putting on the new one?

If you also have taken off the nut, this is the right order to assemble it, you put the washer first all the way down over the aluminium part, then you put back the nut by slightly opening the sides of the aluminium part (I use a very long M4 screw to reach), when nut is in you pull up the plastic 750 part so the nut can sit in position and then finally you put the spring and the stainless screw back on at your favourite tension and you are done.

If you are trying to unscrew the old spring and when you turn the screw the nut turns too then you probably have the older version of the 750 with the steel nut which is to corroded to stay in place and turns. In that case you would need to buy a new release mechanism as they do not sell the nut separately and it is also unsafe to use it even with a new spring on.

Alex,

• Baller
The threaded piece likes popping out of the groove. It can be a huge headache, until you pull that out, and push it back in the holes made for it. The threaded "T", or flange ends of the T go in the holes, not the channel. The "channel" looks like the flange would fit in it, as an expansion, but it does not.

• Baller

@skialex - not 100% topic question in order not to multiply threads:

did you ever see situation when silvreta (half season used HO shell) release unit changed release tension?

I did release test in the evening and next morning after fall I broke tib and half torn knee ligaments. Release finally worked but seems too late.

After leg was more or less good I did release test and it was almost impossible, too much force was needed to make it work. Release was set on 4.5 (lower line of indicator bar)

What would you advise to figure out what happened, how to fix it?

• Administrators
@OldboyII the tension should not change over nite. Seems VERY unlikely. Something else is going on and / or it was a very odd / unfortunate fall.

• Baller

@OldboyII tension can not change either way especially overnight, it's physically impossible. I'm really sorry for your injury, I hope you will be back on the water soon.

You know that there is not a 100% injury proof system and the reason your second land test failed is more likely because your leg is not as strong as before the injury and the sudden force needed to release was not the same as before.

I hate prereleases, 10 years ago I was at 6.5 and over the years with incremental moves I have settled down to 4.5, never had an injury on Reflex and it always released only when needed. I strongly believe that prereleases are more dangerous and I wouldn't ski on a system that could release due to extreme pressure especially when crossing behind the boat.

Check that your binding is set up correctly, usually it is not good if your release needs to much force to lock on the boot because then it can pop open easier regardless of spring tension.

If everything is set up correctly and your system feels great with no prereleases, them you can try to go lower on the spring tension. I was told that the HO system works with lower tension on the release. I haven't tried it personally.

PS tension could change if a coil breaks so the spring sits lower, but that was an issue with the Silvretta 500, the new spring is indestructible.

Alex,

• Baller

@OldboyII I'd look at the simple things first, nothing jammed up between the boot and the plate, or in the toe loop. The heel block is in the right place and secure/even.

There were way more adjustments on the FM and Reflex plates in the past to make sure the release was set right - but I think the HO locks most of that adjustment away, but just look for anything that might be causing the boot not to sit properly on the plate or for the release to be loaded so much.

• Baller

@Horton @skialex @BraceMaker Thank you for valuable reaction. All comments make sense.

I am already on the water, although not on ski but SUP ))

Found that motorboats restrictions on some lakes are not uniquely bad ))

Later I will open release according to skialex guidance to see what/if went wrong.

@skialex yes, HO shell needs lower settings No's comparing to my Reflex Supershell.

@dillonski17 my apologies for invading your thread.

• Administrators
@OldboyII I consider the numerical references on the back of the mechanism to only be reference points. Your comment that different bining systems require different tension settings I think misses the point. Every skier needs to find their own personal setting by testing the system themselves. I strongly discourage anybody from Simply trusting the chart.