ZF Marine debuts new propulsion concept for inboards

MattP

• Baller

ZF Marine today introduced the “Project Disruption” concept at the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show. The new propulsion package is the first contra-rotating system for inboards with traditional shaft-drive systems.

The concept lets inboard-boat builders take advantage of contra-rotating propellers; the most obvious advantage is improved efficiency. The concept takes a standard ZF Marine transmission and utilizes a strut-housed underwater gearbox to transmit power to the twin propellers. Initially, the concept was designed for water-sports towboats and ZF said it can be scaled to larger boats.

“For many years, there has been little innovation in inboard shaftline technology,” Keith Stanley, pleasure craft product line manager for ZF Marine, said in a statement. “ZF saw the opportunity to bring all the benefits of contra-rotating propellers to this most traditional of propulsion systems. We started with tow sports because it presented a unique opportunity to investigate the concept at full scale while subjecting it to a wide variation of loading conditions.”

In addition to increasing efficiency and acceleration, ZF said the concept will give boatbuilders the chance to consider a wider range of transmission ratios than what is possible with single-prop applications. It should give naval architects the ability to optimize the propeller-to-gear ratio.

Lastly, the contra-rotating propellers will address one of the biggest shortcomings of single-prop inboards — poor performance when backing up. They will eliminate the propeller torque, which basically only lets a boat back up in one direction.

ZF Marine debuts new propulsion concept for inboards

• Baller_

@thager,

Could not agree more. Overkill for a simple application. getting closer to the $100K ski boat as it is. I can see something like this on a lake tanker, however pod drive technology is fast becoming reality in smaller pleasure boats. Also this duo drive shaft unit is really nothing new. The Arnson surface drive is very similar however it is mounted on the transom rather then through the bottom of the boat.

Viva La Revolution

• Baller
Hmmm....looks like an unneccessary complication. I also wonder if it will be a disadvantage to lose the directional bias of the single prop. I use that to my advantage when docking. While this set up will undoubtaedly go straight when backing up, it not turn any better when there isn't and current from the props washing over the rudder.

• Baller

Wow...nobody has even tried or driven a direct drive with this tech and all this poopooing.

It may be awesome or it may be a flop but let’s give it a chance. Hey it’s something new (potentially) for us direct drive guys. When’s the last time that happened!?

• Baller
My first thought was what @jordan said. Duoprop setups work well when the thrust direction is controlled by the helm. Unless there's a sprag clutch on the forward prop or something, the reverse "pull" that is ingrained in my being will be gone.

• Baller

@oldjeep Compared to a counter rotating prop?

I wonder if a single electric motor driving the prop where the energy comes from a motor/generator might be more efficient. It adds an interesting possibility to reposition the generator for wake adjustments. Run the engine back for tricks and wakeboarding and forward for slalom. Another project?

Eric