Australian vs US Boats

flanker978

• Baller

G’day Ballers,

One for any Aussies out there.

We’re Just getting back into skiing as the kids get old enough and are in the market of boat.

I’ve been a bit overwhelmed with the choices to make so am hoping you guys can help?

What I’ve found is that’s for around the same money I can get, roughly is:

1- 10 year old Malibu response or Tige 21

2- 15 year old MC 205 or Nautique

3- Brand new Aussie made boat like a Lewis Moomba

Or for a bit more a brand new Matrix Super sport that is all fibreglass (as in no timber stringers or ply wood seat bases like a lot of the other Aussie boats).

As I said, we are just getting back into, but I would like something with a respectable slalom wake.

But I’d say in order of usage:

Kids skiing, tubing, kneeboarding

Open water slalom

Recreational slalom (course)

Recreational barefooting

Maybe after all that I’ll let a wakeboarder hook up!

So my question is, am I better with a used US boat or a new Aussie made boat?

A bonus would be if anyone has slalomed behind a Matrix Super Sport or Sorrento.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Baller

So based on your list i like the Malibu option. Really like the styling 07-09 and it would suit your list above quite well.

I just googled Matrix Super sport...Looks nice - actually reminds me of a malibu response prior to the major change last year. Unforutnately we don't have those in Canada so cant help you there. But interested in hearing what route you take

Good luck with the boat search!

• Baller
If you do decide to get the US boat , many of the Ballers out there will help you find the one you are looking for. I actually sold a boat to a guy in Australia a few years ago. Can put you in touch with an Ausie who ships boats from California to Australia. Good luck with your decision and search.

If the Aussie boats are well made and have a decent wake, I can't imagine buying a 10-15 year old boat if I could get a brand new one for the same money, especially for what you're using it for. Also - wood in a boat is not all bad. Yes, you might have to replace the stringers 20 years from now but wood absorbs vibration much better than fiberglass so you end up with a boat that feels and sounds better.

• Baller

@flanker978 ive skied behind a sorrento a number of times. Wake is perfectly fine for skiing. As far as aussie boats go, its certainly one of the better ones, possibly the best, up there with the moomba. One boat I would say you HAVE to stay away from is the skicraft senator. By far the worst boat to slalom behind out of any of the aus designed boats.

A 10 year old malibu response lx with a wedge and tower is still far better than any other aus boat. Drive, ski and compare a response to xfi, skicraft or anything else and I bet you prefer the malibu.

• Baller
The Flightcraft outboards are real nice all around ski boats. There's a 98 at our lake that we use often. GooglebMoomba Masters video from the mid 90's to see the Flightcrafts pulling the Pro slalom and jump events. There're quite a few between 94 and 98.

• Baller
Said in other thread and will repeat here, look for Response LXi. Much more family friendly, better slalom wakes, and more versatile boat than the Response LX. Wedge makes the Malibus the most versatile Direct Drives by a mile, and the Response LXi hull was one of the best big three slalom boats for barefooting in its day. The only knocks on the LXi in the '03 to '06 vintage is some didn't like how long the windscreen sides are for boom use, and the bow can be a chilly dipper if you have people riding up there and you find a large wake.

• Baller
Check out Success craft .excellent all round. Meteor outboard model fantastic barefoot and slalom. Pro 6.0 very good slalom and wake boarding. Also Lewis are very good. Lots of good second hand stock around.Excel 1850. ,Tournament, Supreme . I particularly like the Skibird that was Albert Lewis' last designs after he sold the Lewis company .These are skibird brand and now made around Hawkesbury river in NSW- Super tracking and great wakes albeit I think still have wood involved. Have fun!

• Baller
If you want to keep it Australian then look at stejcraft. It had a great slalom wake especially at slow speeds and was good to wakeboard behind. It wasn’t as well built as the response and had wood stringers but for the money it was fine. Stejcraft still make them but you can pick up a decent 2nd hand one for 25-30k. Just make sure you get the pro skier model so you get a mercruiser 350 with f-n-r.

I'ma agree with @auskier. The only thing I read into your request is that you might be in the market for open bow vs closed.

However, let me through in a monkey wrench and see if I can't "change your mind".

I would seriously consider the 2001 MB Sports Boss 190 I saw at boatsales.com.au, not sure the hours, but worth a look. Not many mention these boats. MB's are top quality from design to finish all the way. My '97 with 1000 hours on it, still has the original upholstery and carpet (I purchased replacement of each when I bought the boat), because it still looks new. I got no stake in this one but no-one has ever not loved skiing mine.

Waterski Magazine 2001 Test team rated the wake size, the wake hardness, the spray and tracking all World Class.

Read WS Mag review here: https://www.waterskimag.com/features/2001/06/14/mb-sports-boss-190

Happy hunting