Trying to get rid of rolls for slalom course.

Ryota

• Baller

Hi Ballers!

My lake has always some rolls after second pass which makes us uncomfortable to slalom.

We are putting some car tires but its takes time to prepare and put them in the water.

What is your roll breaker system on your lake?

We are looking for easy to put and low budgets system for it!

• Baller
Be very careful about how you secure car tires, if you should decide to do this. We tried this and had some "escape". They float just at the surface and can be destructive to a boat. Sometime back OB described on here using plastic drums. Search for that thread.

• Baller
What a beautiful spot. Where is that? With a shoreline that steep I think you are going to have to live with rollers. I would think any engineering that would make a measurable impact would be a huge project. Increase wait times and learn to ski busy water.

• Baller

It is hard to tell if the full length shoreline is too steep or just sections. We use Rip Rap (size 1/2 stone) in steep areas. It’s a pain to work around trees but worth it.

I have also seen snow break fencing used along with the tires. Cat tails also work depending on how deep the water is.

Can you move course close to one side? The wakes will hit and move off the course quicker and the wakes from the far shore might not be as bad.

Nice site.

• Baller
Hi Ryota-san. Is the problem the entire length of the course or only in a couple small sections? That might make a difference in recommendations. Gorgeous site! How far from Tokyo? I might have to bring my Vapor on my next annual Japan trip. :)

• Baller

@ToddF @Bruce_Butterfield @UWSkier @A_B @bishop8950 @Deanoski @LeonL Thank you for your advices!

This is not a private lake so I cannot change the shoreline which is expensive to cost.

I am thinking floating car tires is the easiest.

but this place is very deep so that also makes difficult to get flat water for all passes.

This place is called Yabakei Aqua Park.

It's located in Oita prefecture which is near from Fukuoka City.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/%E8%80%B6%E9%A6%AC%E6%BA%AA%E3%82%A2%E3%82%AF%E3%82%A2%E3%83%91%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AF/@33.4430927,131.1276265,15.7z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1z44KE44Gw44GR44GE!3m4!1s0x354157a26011f093:0xb60b28a45e9821cc!8m2!3d33.4405132!4d131.1295187

• Baller

I made a breakwater out of PVC pipes. I used 6 inch pipe open with a sealed 3 inch pipe inside. Imitation telephone pole. Worked OK. Cheap and easy. I need to do that at my prime ski lake to knock down irritating rollers. But I need the set down time to recover...

Japan? Can we come visit? Looks like a long way from Osaka where Kirk will be working - might be tough for him to train there. Do you host any tournaments?

Eric

• Baller
@eleeski what pipe lengths did you use? I assume you did not connect each length. How did you keep the inner 3" from sliding out of the 6"? Did you use cable or rope? How frequently did you anchor?

• Baller

I used scrap 6" that had been glued together in an approximately 60' line. I just tied the 3" in place. I anchored it at the ends with rope. Did the work with the lake dry but floated it out of the way for the formula boat racers who didn't want it there.

The critters ate the rubber caps that sealed the 3". It sunk. Should have glued PVC caps instead. I'll have to fix that if that lake gets busy again.

I have another abandoned pipeline and irritating rollers where I ski most now. I need to make up that breakwater there with the lake full. I'll update when I get my lazy self on that project.

Eric

• Baller

Gravon in France use old car tyres.

They put them together with ropes. Standing up. Half tyre separated. Minimum 20 wide.

The boat waves add some air to keep them floating. A loooot of tyres. They told me they have now about 20 000 tyres.

It really works well.

I do not think it is suitable for the environment....

• Baller
@eleeski , can you send me a picture or drawing of your 6” w/3” pipe? I need to do something and I’m not sure I totally understand your set-up. I had thought of planting maidencaine grass along the shore but not sure if it will grow in some places.

• Baller

Get a 20 foot length of 6" pvc pipe. Get a 20' length of 3" pvc pipe and glue caps on the end. Stick the 3" pipe in the 6" pipe. Roll the unit into the water and you have 20' of slightly floating breakwater.

The 6" fills with lake water. The 3" is sealed so it floats. It floats inside the 6". This keeps a couple inches of the 6" above water. The weight of the water in the pipe is pretty heavy and resists wave movement. It won't stop a big wave but is OK for slalom wakes and good for reducing rollers. Easier to deal with than using a powerpole for the same effect.

If you can find a pipeline to salvage, you don't have to use 20' lengths. Use what you can handle. It's pretty easy to slide the 3" inside a pipe. You could use 8" with 4" inside if you can find that (better breakwater effect). Whatever lengths you use, you can tie the pipes together to make as long a breakwater as you need.

They float around pretty easily so you can move them. Pvc is pretty light when dry so you can remove them if needed.

Hope this helps,

Eric

• Baller
@eleeski, that is a perfect explanation. I can see it now and I will probably try this. I am in a newly remodeled home on a community ski lake (4 landowners) and I’m the main skier here. I’m installing a survey course this spring and removing the cable course with the help of our great skiing fraternity. I already know that we have a few rollers, especially if the water is up a bit after a rain.