Where are you looking with your eyes while skiing?

Wish

• Baller_
So after a full day of Kart racing and understanding the importance of where to look while racing, it got me thinking how I use my eyes in the slalom course. I have a bad habit of checking where my ski is in relation to the ball. Not really looking down at the ball but not really looking way ahead either. What I learned in racing is that as humans we have a tendency to look where things are happening in our immediate field of vision surrounding us as a protection mode or in other words, there is danger here so focus here vs looking far past the danger of say a sharp turn. After fighting this tendency and looking far ahead, at times better then 90 degrees from the direction of the kart in a sharp corner, the driving became easier and faster. Very hard not to look at the edge of the track to make sure my wheels were not going to hit the striped hump. But, when I did look ahead, way ahead, the corner slowed down mentally a great deal but the speed carried through the turn was much faster then if I was looking in my immediate portion of the track. Very interesting. So where do you look while skiing?. Why?.

• Baller
I've heard that one of April Coble's big things is to start looking at the next buoy before the finish of your turn on previous buoy. i think I've heard Nate say similar. Me, I'm looking at the buoy till I'm around it, then the wake, then..... the next buoy. One of many things on my list to work on.

• Baller

Dang, I got disliked for listening to Nate Smith and April Coble? Or did you not believe me....

Doing a quick search I can't fine the reference for April Coble, but here's this.

"This is my typical offside turn. I like where my head and shoulders are, and my eyes are already looking ahead to the next buoy across course" Nate Smith

Nate Smith Waterski mag

I'll go with that.....someday maybe I can implement it....

• Administrators
As soon as you know you're going to get around the ball you should start looking at the next ball or at least in that direction. Different skiers have different targets but it needs to be down the lake and not distracting. I find it if I look too early the next ball sometimes I end up falling back a little bit so the timing of when you change your vision is also critical