Recommendations Post Surgery

robertsheld

I had my left hip replaced in October. I ski with my left leg forward. I am concerned about getting up slalom. Should I simply get up on two and drop? This will avoid the risk of putting too much pressure on my left hip if I were to start on one ski.

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

Rob

• Baller

Bike riding is great for rehab of hip. Had two buddies go thru this and both hit the bikes ASAP to aide in rehab/recovery.

Ironically, both of their's was the rear hip that got replaced, which they had heard is typical for slalom skiers. Any oone else with experience or knowledge care to share info about this?

• Baller

@robertsheld the replacement and bone should be completely healed by now. The only thing remaining is that there can be weakness, atrophy and shortened muscles from the surgery and inactivity. If you "feel" concerned there is probably a reason. Work with a PT to be certain you are ready to go.

I have had 2 replacements and can say I am stronger now than I was long before the surgeries. But in the 1st year there were definitely some gaps that I needed to work on.

• Baller
My surgeon's rule was if you could do it before surgery you can do it after (except he doesn't want me running). When you are ready I wouldn't change anything - doing something thats not familiar is more likely to cause problems IMO.

@robertsheld I was a member at a lake and the owner of it had just had hip replacement. For at least a season or so he got up with two and dropped a ski. But in my personal experience coming back from any injury and especially surgery, its all about PT and rehab. Just my two cents.

• Baller
Had my right hip replaced (front leg) 3 years ago this May, I skied 4 and a half months after the surgery, no problem getting out of the water on one ski, but I also worked my butt off in the gym and rode my bike everyday from 6 weeks after the surgery. You should be fine if you did the work

• Baller
I was skiing 4 months after my second hip surgery. A lot depends on what your condition was prior to surgery as you may have had a bit of atrophy. As @waterskicorey said, I worked hard to be sure I had no gaps. Like I said above, if you are feeling apprehensive there may be a reason...

• Baller
My friend had his front hip replaced over winter before last season and started and stayed on combos until he felt solid. Then went to slalom and just did easy wake cuts. Mid summer he was close to full form. Lots of downside if you rush too fast. So unless your making money from slalom, take your time and enjoy the lack of pain.

• Baller
I had my hip replaced september 2015. Best thing i ever did. I skied for the first time April 2016 and just rode my ski. It was definantly a little scary every time the rope got tight but that feeling went away pretty quick. It took me a full year to run the same bouy count as before surgery. Doctor told me if i did it before surgery i could do it after surgery...

• Baller

I had a Birmingham hip on my rear leg (toe leg) in October 2016. Tricked a solid tournament score (3700) in spring including a challenging toe pass. Got in a lot of snow skiing as well and even broke a ski under that leg with no consequences.

But I really struggled to get up in double boots. That hurt a lot. I didn't have enough range of motion. Couldn't switch to a conventional toe kicker so I ended up making a hardshell toe kicker so I could comfortably get up.

My range of motion is much better now (still doing the PT exercises and probably will forever). I will have to try the two foot start as I just tweaked my front knee and will probably need the help there to get up.

Let us know how the starts go for you.

Eric

• Baller
Did anyone change their binding set up post hip surgery? Particularly when it was their back leg? I believe biggest risk is dislocation, so wondering if moving to a double boot that will release at same time is the best option to minimise this risk. I currently ski with a kicker.

• Baller

@v1car what hip did you get? They weren't worried about dislocation for my Birmingham hip. High energy crashes were the big worry (damaging the other hip?!). I had a hard time getting comfortable with my new setup - but I changed a lot. I moved away from double boots to a toe kicker. I'm still skiing slower (love the new scoring rules!).

Stick with what you are used to so you can hopefully avoid those hard falls.

Eric

• Baller
Thanks @eleeski Birmingham all booked in for tomorrow! Excited and nervous! Thinking about rehab. Great to hear no prob to stick with my current set up. Will look to share how I go as well to help any others facing it in the future.

• Baller

@v1car Best wishes to you. Rehab like an athlete not a patient. Forever. Enjoy not hurting (it does take a few weeks to get there - worth it!).

Maybe we can have a different circuit. Titanium Dawgs!

Eric