Boat Lift Install Price Gut check

jercrane

• Baller

Anyone have any experience with getting a new Sunstream SL4 boat lift or similar installed in a boat house? I'm getting a quote just shy of $9k. Feels pretty high to me but I don't know. It does include a few mods to fit in the relatively narrow slip (9' 5") I am trying to put it in.

Am I getting a fair deal here or should I push back or find another dealer?

• Baller
Not including the lift, I had mine installed on a 45 degree slope 8 feet of water in the front and 16 in the back with deep water braces . One side needed a underwater saw cut in to a log for the feet on one side. Ihink the install was 4500. If your on a flat lake bottom it's not a hard job Ive done a few myself just chose to make sure the lift was secure on the slope :)

• Baller

@Skirvind wow ok I'm looking at about 4 feet at the stern and 3 feet at the helm and essentially smooth sediment bottom. So yeah sounds like I'm getting taken to the cleaners. Was yours a Sunstream or another similar brand. Perhaps the SL4 itself is pricey to start? Maybe I should consider some other lift.

• Baller
@jercrane Is that $9K for lift and install or just install? Sounds like @Skirvind was 4500 for just the install. Not sure what the SL4 is but $9K for a comp boat hydraulic cantilever lift, Sunstream's main units, is about right. OK for 4500# lift plus install about right for 6500# lift without install. Basta Lifts make what looks like an identical unit, about that price for those lift ranges. I think the Basta is a better built unit, also think Basta has the key patents for those lifts and licenses them (or they used to). I had one when I was in WA but sold it with lot when moved to FL. Have an RGC which is good and about the same price as the Basta and Sunstream. Got it as its made East Coast so cheaper shipping but the Basta is better. Basta made in Seattle, I picked my WA one up at the factory. I installed both myself. Really pretty easy just need a couple other guys to help as parts are big. Took an afternoon and floated in place with tubes. Probably the most expensive type of lift for a ski boat but they are sweet and all underneath and out of the way.

Not sure how fancy of a lift that is (on mobile) but all in that doesn’t sound terrible. I’m looking at having 4-5k in a used manual lift (with a few new pieces on in) and that’s with me installing it. I know some lifts out there can be big money.

• Baller
@jercrane Delivered, installed that's about right. Side braces always need to be trimmed for width. They are over wide to fit any boat and then cut to fit the boat with a little left for later adjustment. Couple minutes with an angle grinder does it. 9'5" is 113" that's tight but not a problem for guides. I built my dock deck at 120" and a little closer would be ideal but room for a slightly wider boat than my 200 was allowed for. The boats seem to keep getting wider. The 9'5" is narrow for the feet. You only have that width all the way down? My legs extend under the deck a ways on the bottom. Takes a bit of jockeying to float it in and out past the supports, but doable.

• Baller
@jercrane - both Sunstreams at our site were used so we’re into them for $4k or less each. But I’m not at all surprised by the number you were quoted. I have both the 4,000 lb and the 6,000. Both work fine but the 6000 would be worth the upgrade if prices are close.

• Baller
@Jordan I thought about it actually but for actually need a movable lift. About half way through summer the boat house is inaccessible due to lake level. So I need to be able to reposition at the dock we have in deeper water. It’s complicated and a problem that will be corrected in time but ... dredging is hard. New boat needs a home now. :)