MOB System 1st release test!

Jaypro

• Baller

Before adding inserts, call the tech guys for your ski manufacturer.

I moved my MOB double release plate to a 2019 senate probuild. The existing insert pattern seemed to allow a lot of flex in the plate if the tape came loose so I called Radar to ask about installing additional inserts. The person that answered the phone said go ahead. I then got to the guys that build the skis and was told in no uncertain terms that I would be putting inserts into the foam and they would not hold. The factory inserts are installed in material in the ski designed to hold them.

• Baller

The inserts might not hold for a long time in the foam. But, they will hold some. When the insert fails, the reinstallation of the insert is an opportunity to have the top skin carry more load. A judicious use of steel wool impregnated with epoxy can allow your insert to be reasonably well supported. I've gotten reasonable service out of inserts placed in unreinforced areas.

Use anti seize and don't over torque your screws and the inserts should last a while.

A couple inserts should not structurally compromise your ski. So worst case will have you putting tape back on the ski.

Eric

• Baller

@floridagm absolutely you must install inserts into something that will hold them, not the foam. There are discussions here on that topic and Eric’s method is discussed in greater detail.

It would be great if the ski manufacturers would at least put the reinforcement material in the skis in the trick insert pattern.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

@mmosley899 agreed! It would be great if the manufacturers could agree to some standards. Imagine a world where all bindings fit all skis!

Additionally, no doubt someone has a workaround for installing inserts that probably works.

Your tape solution has worked great so I won’t be drilling holes in a ski that is more expensive than the first car owned.

Radar stands behind their product better than most and if I were to have an issue the last thing I want to hear is “we told you not to drill into your ski.”