Golf promoting "Play 9"

Wish

• Baller_
So to obviously get some legs back under another declining sport, USGA is promoting "Play9". They are promoting how it takes less time, is more fun and family and work friendly and that you can still post scores with the USGA. We keep adding rules, regs, additional elements where no score can be posted unless it's rapped up in all kinds of elements that make some skiers walk away and puts up barriers for new blood. The USGA recognizes the need for change.

• Baller
@Wish same exact thoughts crossed my mind when I saw that commercial. So smart. I also attended a great grassroots event this weekend at liquid edge in IL. Watched many first time competition skiers and it got me thinking about how we need to evolve much more to adapt to a society today that is busier in life.

• Baller
Water skiing should take notes from golf. Both sports have similar barriers to entry- both take a chunk of your day to do, both are expensive, and they have similar target markets. Golf is huge where water skiing is not, & competitive golf will never disappear the way it seems tournament water skiing is

• Baller

@oldjeep I agree... golf is a good walk ruined... by a cart. The suggestion of playing nine is a great one.... especially if people would start walking. That's not exactly good for the course.... they would prefer you take a golf cart and an expensive 6 pack of beer. If people would start to see it as 2 hours of exercise where you don't think you're exercising it would help. 9 holes is about 7-9k steps (more if you suck)... and a few miles.

It is unfortunate to see golf declining. Courses are closing all over the place. It will be a long time until it gets to the access problem that skiing has... but fewer choices are never good. Golf unfortunately is relatively difficult... much like skiing.... people in general don't seem to like difficult anymore.

There are a few courses around me that have started to promote golf as more of a family sport.... which is fantastic. The courses have promotions that kids can play for free with a paying adult. Putting a golf club in their hand is way better than an xbox controller. I have found if I say that I'm taking my 9 year old to play with me that I get zero resistance from the spouse (who plays too). Much like slalom skiing... golf also suffers from a lack of female involvement.

• Baller
Fortunately golf has the money to promote things like play-nine a few years back it was "play it forward" trying to convince people the could play the front tees without shame. We have some courses near us that are offering Foot Golf it's a fun option and might get younger soccer kids and families interested in playing golf as well.

• Baller

I’m sorry but skiing is WAAAAAY more expensive than golf. I have a membership at a nice course for $200 per YEAR...unlimited golf during the week. Best part is when I implode I can walk off the course after 4 holes and not be pissed about dropping a Benjamin to play....

A new ski boat is 100K+, a decent ski 1K, wetsuits, gloves, tow lines, handles....even my old Brendella costs more than most memberships in this are. If you need a membership @ Bushwood Im sure that’s a bit pricy...

• Baller_
@jetster. True but not the point. Point being USGA is actually recognizing and doing something about its decline in membership. Somthing out of the box. Something grass roots (pun intended)

• Baller
@Jetsetr what part of the country do you live in? Even in Kentucky a decent country club will run you at least $3,000-$4,000 a year plus initiation & quarterly minimums... And we have courses with $60k initiation & $3k a month after that... I have as much if not more in clubs than I do my syndicate pro. You sound like you have a course that offers a great deal, but most courses don’t offer any kinds of memberships for $200 a year

• Baller
For what it's worth the sky is the limit for the cost of both sports. I know people who spend over 10 grand per year on golf (and its associated expenses) and people who spend an insignificant amount. Likewise I know people who always have new ski boats and people who are happy to rip behind their fishing boats. At the end of the day it comes down to what you want out of the sport. Having some recreational fun in either sport is very different from trying to put together a successful competition career and that is always going to be the case. While money is an issue, the bigger issue is just getting exposure. Collegiate skiing is great for this. I've watched a lot of people (myself included) go from recreational to having the 3 event bug in a big way. From what I've heard the grassroots events are also great at this. But it requires sponsors and people that want to put in the time and money to do them. I am certain there are plenty of people out there who would grow into big participants in the competition side of the sport, but haven't been exposed to it in a way that would draw them in. If you can figure out how to advertise/sell the tournament lifestyle to a lot of people, some of them just might buy.

• Baller
So @Wish, start putting on some tournaments that are "fun". Nothing is stopping you. The rules allow for all kinds of formats, many of which can be put on with a minimal number of officials and any boat that has been previously approved by the AWSA.

• Baller_

@jcamp, my 97 SN was approved at one point. So I'm good to put on a tournament?? Hmmmmm. Will scores count? ;)

Note USGA is allowing scores for 9 holes to count in some manner.

• Baller

@Live2ski I live in SE Wisconsin...

As stated in my post if you “need” to be a member at Bushwood it’s going to cost you to be seen. If you want to be a member @ Sutton Bay it’s 100 large per year...

@lazzn sums it up very well....