Little peeps skis

jwakes

Hey anyone have a suggestion on combo skis for my little guys? They are 7 years old and can get up long line on those radar jr skis that have the bar for the tips and a tie for the tails. They can also take the bar off and get up, but the tie for the tails takes a screw driver to un hook and I haven’t tried that....Should I unscrew that thing that keeps the tails together or is there a better way to go? Or just keep blasting them around without the front bar? My kids only weigh about 50lbs.

• Baller_

Are the combos traditional shape or wide? If wide, take the bar off and go, even when they get ready to slalom. If they are narrow, something like these is the best option

https://www.overtons.com/obrien-jr.-vortex-combo-waterskis-322164.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvr7s0Yji4wIVBI9bCh27IgnaEAQYAyABEgJUqvD_BwE

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

Ok- ya those O’Brien look nice- the radar combos I have are traditional and no tow plate. So... will those work for my 50lb kids? They are much larger skis... also... as an aside- anyone have rec on how and when to teach jr to slalom. They want to do it... they can go in and out of the wakes (11mph) but it seems a little early?? Just seeing what the best progression is. I never learned to drop- just got up.. so I’m more along that line of thinking.

• Baller

@jwakes my 7 year old learned on the fat O-brien's. (Actually she learned last year on a pair of cheap wooden ones I found on amazon, but she hated them.) So this year I bought her the O-brien's and she popped right up. Against my better advice she immediately went to slalom after getting up a few times on two. I tried to reason with her on all of the common sense around first taking the bar off and learning to go outside the wake. Her response was something like this "Mama, I am a slalom skier. I'm going to slalom." I thought ok girl, we'll see. She got up slalom third try, deep water on a long line. They're ready when when they say they're ready!

My daughter is about 50lbs too.

Use one of the trainer slalom ropes that has the V. Also, have them stand on land and practice with you pulling them up by hand.

• Baller
  • Baller

Also, I unhooked one of the back webbing hooks. Then Just used a stainless carabiner so I didn’t have to screw it back in....

My son went from getting up for the first time this May, to getting up on a slalom for the first time yesterday. I’m sure other skis will work great... but I’ve had great luck with the O’Brien’s