Any good prevention measures for Swimmer's Itch

TustinTom

• Supporting Member

Hi Ballers:

I had never heard of this prior to skiing this weekend.

Are there any good preventive solutions to Swimmer's Itch (outside of what's on the internet) ? My reaction to this has worsened/progressed from: Hey, I think I got bit by a bug (June); to Hey, my vest gave me a rash (August); to this weekend looking like I ran through Poison Ivy.

Please let me know what creams/lotions work? Does a wetsuit help?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

I rebuilt my dock and got it, it was not bad, but it was from standing in shallow water for extended time while working on the dock, and not toweling off. If I had wore a wetsuit and had no exposed skin, no issue. But never happened before. It will go away in 3 to 7 days, keep it cleaned and dry.

• Supporting Member

Not our property so shooting the fowl will not work.

The course is set up in a true pond. Last season ended when the water got to about 3 feet deep. Right now it's about 5 feet deep. It's only source of water is rain, so we ski until the water evaporates. No fresh water/pump/recirculation at all.

So, it's not ideal, but it's what I have to deal with if I want to ski the course. Thanks all

I have heard of people putting copper sulfate into the water and having great results. Not good for the environment I would assume, but it works. In Michigan, they used to treat the public waters by plane with copper sulfate.

Witch Hazel works to treat it if you already have it.

Good luck!

• Baller

A lake I grew up swimming in used to get it from goose and duck poop. We stopped feeding them around where we swam.

Toweling off to the point of slight pain was the best prevention for us

If you got it, we used to get clear nail polish and paint the red marks. I guess it suffocated whatever caused it, and it went away much faster

• Baller

Rinse off, towel off, don't wade in the shallows, copper sulfate. On our lake you really can ONLY get hit wading in the shallows I have never had it skiing or swimming from the boat. I suppose different in a small pond.

We have a ton of snails in our lake and they are an intermediate host so our lake gets it much more regularly than other lakes in the area with fewer or no snails.

Never got it at our gnarly gross ski swamp we skied for 17 years.

• Baller
We get swimmer's itch every few years in our lake. Yep it's a cycle of snails and water fowl poop. Little parasites get into your skin pores, then die, then itch like crazy. Not fun! My uncle next door developed a special rake to keep the snails out of his area and it does help. We've had good luck with baby oil or sunscreen applied to any exposed skin. Toweling off vigorously is also good insurance.