Hitch Drop for Yukon - Trailing Prostar

rico

• Baller

Tahoe’s and Yukon’s I’ve had plenty.

I’ll have to check in the garage but it’s more like 4-6”. I’ve only towed Nautiques with several different trailer manufacturers. I would assume there is some sort of tongue height standard for all trailers though.

You can see approximately what you need by setting the trailer and Yukon on level ground and have the boat trailer jack set so trailer is level. From the ground measure to inside top of receiver and then to the bottom of the trailer ball cap. Not the top of the ball cap as you need to know where the top of the hitch will be not the ball. Subtract the difference and use closest match. If it’s 5” and they only make 4 or 6 go with 6 if you want the back to ride a little higher.

• Baller

I found that for single axle trailer, the flat part of the Hitch ball mount surface (where the base of the trailer ball Sits) needs to be about 19-3/4” from ground.

Measure from your hitch opening to ground and do the math to find which drop you need.

Vehicle rear end may sag a little bit when trailer is on it, so you can factor that into your math.

• Baller

Check out etrailer, they have some great resources. I would measure the vehicle hitch height with the tongue weight on the vehicle to account for sag. My F350 sags when I hook up my 196, not much, but it does move, maybe an inch or so.

I am a huge fan of adjustable hitches, a good adjustable hitch will be the last hitch you ever buy (if you buy a locking hitch pin to go with it).

• Baller

Pick up a Curt #45900

At $125 bucks it will do anything you will likely ever need. I keep it in the bed of my truck and know I can handle just about any trailer. I never saw the appeal of the aluminum rapid hitches, over priced bling IMO.

If you only ever tow your boat, I'd just buy a quality drop hitch and move on though.

• Baller
@Rico are you getting a lake to go with that boat ?? If you haven’t bought your drop yet , hook up your boat and measure from the ground to a good reference point on the trailer tongue , then disconnect the boat and crank the Jack down to the level that you want and measure it again. The difference between the two will be your added drop. Will take the guess work out of the equation.