Apple Watch tracking.

Owurt

Hello to all,

I have recently purchased Apple Watch series 5 and thinking about wearing it under a long sleeve wetsuit while skiing through the course to track heart rate, speed, and calories.

People use these surfing and can clearly withstand the water just unsure about the impact when you have an off.

Has anyone done this, before I make a slightly expensive mistake? Any tips?

• Baller
@Owurt If you like the watch don't wear it skiing, I believe it's just a matter of time before it gets ripped off your wrist. Also don't put it on the pylon, years ago I ripped the pylon out of the boat, lost the pylon, my watch (a present from my girlfriend now wife), and the rope and handle...I was in the water wondering what just happened so I foolishly let go of the rope. Everyone I have ever know who skis with a watch has lost it. Put it in the glove box and get a heart rate band that has a memory. How will the Apple watch measure speed? Can you maybe put it in a chest strap inside your wetsuit. I think it would have to be a pretty incredible fall to lose something inside the wetsuit, under the life jacket against your chest. Your milage may vary but I have a few buddies doing the Timex torture test on a few watches.

• Baller

I have a friend who is skiing with the Apple Watch under the sleeve with no issues and the sleeves go under the gloves, so I don’t see how she is going to lose it, well unless in case of a pretty hard yard sale

Personally I don’t like skiing with any accessories on my wrists, for safety reasons and on a bare wrist you will definitely lose it.

• Baller
I have always been curious what you heart rate elevates to during a slalom set. I doubt in the end we burn that may calories per set/ 50-75? but would be interesting. Have you Apple watch owners gathered any data?

• Baller

I wanted to do something similar with my Garmin watch/heart rate monitor. I couldn’t get it work well with my gloves. So, for a few passes I wore check HR monitor strap and had the watch on my vest.

Last summer my Garmin said 64 calories for three passes. Avg HR 135 Max 160.