Oil Analysis to Poll on "If you bought a boat on SIA but...................

blakeyates

• Baller
@blakeyates If that is truly oil that has been in the engine less than 25 hours the lead level is pretty scary, probable bearing failure coming soon. I suspect it is much more than a 25 hour change interval. Also, at 25 hours the fuel dilution may indicate a motor "making oil" probably from a fuel injector leaking down after shutdown. Just curious, since it is a 2010, and a 5.7, did the boat still have that crazy 12.5 x 14.25 prop on it? If so, that engine probably saw a lot of really high RPM use.

• Baller
@skiinxs I will need to check the prop but I believe it's been changed to the proper prop. We plan to pull another oil sample after about 10 hours of run time. Fuel dilution is common in ski boats due to excessive idling and then heavy throttle.

• Baller

As a derailed side note, I have a 2007 Silverado with 6.0 gas for work. Original owner. 365,000 miles and I just did it’s 7th oil change. When I get about 20k-30k on this oil change I want to get an oil analysis done and post it here. That boys will be your base line analysis with numbers to avoid, anything less and your good.

And yes when I sell the truck I’ll be straight up in the ad and say I used it, did shit maintenance, but here it is still running strong. Price reflect. I bet it’ll be quickest vehicle I’ve ever sold.

• Baller
@oldjeep yeah I agree but that’s what I gathered from what I read but I’m not in a smart state of mind as I didn’t stay in my usual Holiday Inn Express lastnight. I’d give exhaust manifolds a good pressure test myself since they were already pulled. A crack in right spot could’ve leaked water back in 1 run. What year manifolds did PCM kinda acknowledge a cracking issue? It could legitimately have been no fault or knowledge of seller.

• Baller

Not an oil guy, but spent 30 years in industrial water treatment. In looking at the analysis, I noticed 1256 ppm of calcium, 717 ppm magnesium, 684 ppm zinc and 273 ppm iron.

Baffled how, with 684 ppm of zinc (normal corrosion inhibition levels would be less than 100 ppm even in high stress applications), there could be active corrosion, but the 273 ppm iron sure indicates corrosion product. How can oil have 1256 ppm of calcium? Very hard water might have 300 ppm calcium and 150 ppm magnesium. Unless calcium is a component of the original oil, elevated calcium would imply water intrusion, pure water flashing off from heat and the calcium accumulating in the oil solution over a period of time. Surface was is usually low in calcium/magnesium, so if the above hypothosis is valid, it would take a while to accumulate that high a concentration of calcium. Maybe an oil guy could enlighten me if calcium is an additive in oil.

• Baller
The oil sample was from the original oil when the boat was bought. The calcium comes from the additive package. Since the hydro-lock occurred after the test drive, we felt that we caught this very early and minimal water, evidently, had gotten by the pistons.

• Baller
Evidently that calcium is a little high according to the automotive experts of Google hut makes little to no difference. Calcium is used as a detergent. What I don’t get is Shell Rotella advertises 1100-1200 ppm of zinc. This analysis states 684ppm and it states Shell Rotella. Somewhere somebody is wrong.