Kids Trick Ski Size

Horton

• Administrators

Buford Danger is about 60 pounds so I have her on an old 41" trick ski. She did her first Side Slide yesterday (maybe not credit).

Does it make sense to put her on the biggest ski I can find until she learns basic surface turns?

• Baller_

@Horton yeah I would say so. Time to suck it up and get a 41" D3/Radar/Quantum and a Reflex. You should be good for the next 5 years or so. Little kids, especially girls pick up tricks at an amazing rate with the right equipment and environment. It will be the best ski money you ever spend.

You can use a boom for the basic surface tricks as an aid. Probably 3-4 sets on the boom and she'll be off to the races.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

idwrmae6a962.jpg

3agfrbpk4qw0.jpg

I did with Monica at about age 8 I put her on a 42 but I probably should have taught her to learn how to ride the ski, jump the ski rather then start right into learning surface tricks. She is learning that now at 29..

I think the key to very young trick skiers is not so much the board but the bindings are crucial. Seeing what the juniors at states were riding binding wise against the old hand me down boards was pretty apparent. Also the realease binding style was the norm with these kids.

Another way to lessen the curve is to ski with other kid trick skiers. They seem learn faster especially when the are both behind the boat.

• Administrators
I tried her out on a 43-inch Radar ski today and it was way better than her prehistoric 41. I guess eventually I'll have to buy a new one in her size.

• Baller

Bruce_Butterfield

I’ve always tricked in a Wileys (though I never tricked more than around 3500 points, so I’m clearly no expert!!). What do I need to know about getting into a hard shell for tricks (for kids) Do reflex come with a boot, or just the release/plate? Any idea how long a boot would last a girl of that age (ie, what range of sizes does a boot fit?)? Do you just replace liners or do you replace the whole shell, etc? Would it be possible to share a ski with me if I went to a reflex too (ie, do kids and adult boots use the same size binding plate/release?)

I’m sure I’ll have many more questions if we go this route! Thx for your time.

• Baller_

@bbirlew the important part for beginner trickers is to have a good fit. Getting a good fit on even a beginning tricker in rubber is really hard. The hardshell is much easier and gives much more control from the start. I would call a good Reflex dealer (I recommend Bennetts https://www.3eventstore.com/) and get a boot, liner, plate, and release. Probably in the ballpark of $500, but well worth it. The binding setup is much more important than the ski. She will probably start with a size 4 shell. You can keep the plate and release and increase the boot and liner as she grows. The plate will accommodate increases in boot size with some disassembly, so a real PIA if you have desires to share a ski (i.e. not worth it).

If you go to a tournament and look at the trick skiers, probably 90% use Reflex.

If you haven't seen this, there is other info too.

https://www.ballofspray.com/home-page/tech/2598-the-future-of-our-sport-tips-to-addict-the-next-generation

Feel free to post or PM for any more questions.

• Baller
@Bruce_Butterfield at the recent RC tournament at Lymanland a large number of junior skiers were using the MOB release. Easier to find the best fitting boot for growing feet. And safer for learning side slides and surface turns since it will release sideways. It takes away a lot of those sudden slap down falls! Plus it is real easy to share a ski since you can use multiple size boots with the same release setup.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

Agree with Bruce on all points. Starting with the boom is really for kids. (Even if Horton is afraid of scuffing his new MC with one) Hard shells are the way. My youngest has been on a Reflex since almost the beginning. Bigger skis are a help as well.

BTW... Make sure you teach her some trick stuff while she's in you area Mr. Bruce. You know that knowledge can not come from me...

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield @eleeski

I read Bruce's link above and it was great. My boy is going into 7th grade and almost 13; he is 120 lbs. and on a 42" radar with a Syndicate hard shell right now but I may move him to a bigger trick ski if needed. I could move him to my 43 inch radar when my 54" Goode gets here or order a 44" D3, but he seems pretty happy on the 42"er right now. He loves his hard shell binding.

He has about 5 or 6 total sets under his belt and can control the trick, hit side slide and reverse, cross the wake easily and jump the wake a bit, and almost hold a back wrap.

What do I need to have him work on other than just having fun? He wants to learn tricks, what is the basic progression to a 1000 points? Body position tips? Drills? Just have fun?

Thanks for any tips from anyone who knows more than me about teaching tricks to a pre-teen (which is probably most people on here). Honestly, I think he likes trick as much as slalom and he really wants to learn some more tricks and get good at it.

• Baller_

@jjackkrash

For kid trick progression, start with:

- Hold SS and reverse for 5-10 sec. Keep the handle in close to the waist, slight knee bend and look at the boat

- Full back, both directions, then hold the back, ride down the lake and cross the wakes. Keep handle in contact with the lower back and eyes on the horizon

- Surface O's both directions

- Back wrap - hold the SS and slowly turn all the way back and keep the handle close to the waist and look at the boat

- Once he can hold the back wrap, do it outside the wake, then a wake front

- LIne Back - I teach the "cheater LB" to learn - rest the free foot on top of the rope with knee at approx 90 deg, then turn backwards and wave to the crowd with free hand. Touch the foot to the water and try to hold. On the line front, kick yourself in the butt and bring the knee over the rope. Once he can do the cheater, try it for real by bringing the knee over the rope simultaneously with the turn. It helps to keep the heel close to the butt for balance.

- Wake back into backwrap

- surface back to back from backwrap to full back.

Toes:

Take an old slalom rope and make a release approx 36-40" long. I wrap around the pylon twice for the deepwater start, then unwrap to 1 for the tricks.

- start just riding with the toestrap and crossing the wakes

- Toe Back - keep tension on the rope and turn backwards - try to keep the knees together. Pull gently and turn front.

- Toe Side

- Toe wake back - same as TB with a slightly stronger pull and pop off the wake

For all of these, dry land practice is hugely beneficial and will save falls, time and frustration. Just tie the rope to a tree and do the tricks just like on water.

Whenever working on new tricks, only do 3-5 attempts per set, then move on to the next trick.

Always let him jump the wakes and try to clear both. Running the slalom course is fun, good training and a great way to breakup frustration.

Once he gets proficient with these, the next tricks are:

Reverse Back Wrap

Surface and wake back-to-back from reverse backwrap to regular backwrap

Toe O

Toe Wake O

Enjoy and good luck!