Big guy - Trick Ski

zskibum

• Baller
Hey all. I love slalom skiing but over the past couple of years my 12 year old son has grown to love 3 event. I’d love to learn to trick with him. I’m a 230 lb fairly uncoordinated guy, but with enough practice I could prob pull off a few tricks so I could compete at the same tournaments he does. I’ve see a lot of different size trick skis. What size and set up would you all recommend? I’m current slaloming on a reflex binding so I could easily use that binding set up. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

• Baller
@zskibum, I'm in the same boat and had a similar thread going a few weeks ago. I got on the biggest ski Radar makes (43") and I gotta go 19-20 mph or its real mushy; I'm 200 lbs. right now. I have that big 54" Goode on order as well and really hope its all that. I am also hoping it gets here before it gets too cold.

• Baller_
I totally agree with Bruce the 54 is a blast. It’s easy to ride and you will learn fast on it. I call it ski boarding. One of my students did a T7 on it so anything is possible. If I could start from scratch I’d probably make it a 50 but I think it has a fun factor that’s hard to beat for any one wanting to play without all the difficulty.

• Baller
@brooks I think Radar should build and fill this void! a single model 50" trick ski in a basic construction for new trick skiers and bigger folks also. I would buy in a heartbeat, would be a fun extra tool in the boat to play with also. Target a $499 PP with construction like a Union level ski?? Once we get good, graduate to a Graviton? There is a market!

• Baller
Thanks for the feedback. Loved the old thread! I have an old ironing board - maybe I should try that. Lol. Any thoughts on the Goodman vs the Goode. I am also inspired by the comment “ Your life will be much easier and more fun than on a traditional 44". With skiing Ill always take the easier and more fun way!! Also should i go with a rubber boot or get a second reflex plate? Thanks all!

• Baller

@zskibum FWIW I've been trying to buy a Goodman trick for nearly 3 years now. Got as far as sending my credit card info and still nothing.

Not trying to say anything negative here as I know Ron is busy and has limitations to his operation but just a fore warning. BUT....If you have more success than me please order two! I'll even pay you a handling fee!

• Baller

My friend decided his Goode 54” tricker was too big and he’s got some knee problems that the bigger ski was apparently aggravating. He only used it twice, and I bought it from him...can’t wait to try it. I’m 6’5” 230ish lbs so it should be just about right. ?

Here it is next to my 1998 44” O’Brien

17xy7oj583su.jpeg

• Baller

I tried mine out this evening. I really, really like it. I’m not a great trick skier, but I’m confident I’ll improve with this ski. Compared to my old 44” O’Brien, this ski is crazy stable and supportive. Stepping off the platform I immediately noticed I sank at about half the rate I usually do.

It’s going to take some getting used to as it’s definitely more “slippery” than my old ski. I’m assuming the hard edge might have something to do with it. Mostly on my reverse stuff it simply slid out from underneath me a few times. Wake to wake jumps are effortless with amazingly better height. I can only do a TB, TF, TWB, TWF, TS but I didn’t have a release person so I didn’t try any of those. But the added stability and support I feel makes me think those will also be easier. Hopefully!

I ended up slowing the boat from 19.8 mph where I’ve skied for the last 15 years and ultimately settling in at 17.8 mph with 3’ less rope. I also broke the cardinal rule by using a new binding on a new ski. That was a noticeable difference too.

I know everybody likes pics:

tg6v9vffe2m4.jpeg

• Baller
Something I forgot to touch on was the overall effort to simply ski is much less. Thinking back I went 8 or 9 miles and didn’t stop because I was fatigued. Deep water starts are night and day less effort, and I didn’t consider the start on my old ski demanding in the least.

• Baller

I went out again last night, but after a couple sets of slalom. I again didn't have a tripper so no toe trick attempts. Sorry, nothing really more to add at this point other than it's a keeper. I spent last night just riding around doing surface spins and jumps continuing to get acclimated to the ski. It definitely spins much easier (surface stuff) than my old ski.

My old school 160 pound friend on a 43" ski was joking how silly such a big ski is, and I told him he's clearly never tricked on a "normal" sized tricker at 235ish pounds. I finally feel like everybody else looks having a proportionately sized trick ski.

• Baller
I was able to go again Sunday, and ended up slowing down even more to 17.5 mph and still plenty fast enough to be comfortable. I also shortened the rope another 3 feet, though this was behind my buddy's 2012 TXi instead of my 1998 Echelon, so that's yet another variable. My limited toe turns were fine, but I did notice it tracked a little differently then I'm used to with the rope on my foot, so that'll take some getting used to. Could be the binding placement, but I'm running out of warm water to change things up too much.

• Baller

OK, I am 6 sets in to this ski. For reference I am 190lbs and trick 1250 points. I want more. First sets were in cold texas then one here in Florida. The ski does not make tricking easier. It does let you go slower. I had to experiment with speed, binding placement and rope length. I need to take a lesson to get it dialed in.

I am now tricking at 14mph, and I shortened the rope 6 feet off. I still cant make all my tricks yet but getting closer. I am going to stick with it because the falls at 14mph are so much more forgiving than at 18.5 mph on my 44" ski. I am optimistic I will trick more often and try more new tricks with this ski.

I will report back after I get more sets in.

So I have a Goode monster. Bought a wakeboard bag for it.

Key points, Slowed speed by 2mph. It’s wide and stable flat but harder to get on edge with a very good, wire cinch down type binding. I would lean, ski wants to stay flat. Added a reflex hard shell binding and no ski goes where I turn it. No new tricks added yet but can do all I could on my 1980 kidder redline.

• Baller

At the risk of looking like a wally I am hoping I can help others.

So when I bought this ski I got the Goode RTP plate. I spent all kinds of time making sure the front binder was exactly where it was supposed to be. I didnt think much about the back binder and just mounted it up thinking "they must have it in the right place right?'

well after struggling with this thing for a couple months I went to Chets for a lesson. I told him I was having trouble getting my back foot all the way into the binder. He told me to look at maybe customizing it to get it to fit.

So I went home and compared the new one against my old 44" ski. I measured the rubber and the size was the same, but when I tried them side by side it was clear that on the new ski my back foot was off center to starboard by at least an inch.

Well that explains a lot I thought. So I had to take it completely apart. The good news is these RTP plates have lots of holes so I was able to do some measuring and figured out what holes to use. I ended up moving the rubber piece an inch forward on the plate and about an extra hole on each side for added width.

Skied it this morning and it was a completely different ski. I imediately was able to do replicate my complete run from last summer and now I can start working on new tricks

sjgvmub8840q.jpg

• Baller
@disland I did EXACTLY the same thing to the RTP (mine is Wileys but they are the same) for my D3 trick ski. On the narrower/normal trick ski width, my foot literally hung off the edge of the ski and in the water. I've skied on the RTP this way for more than a year now, and no problems.

I have read through all the 54" GOODE MK1 trick threads I could find, but still haven't reached a conclusion if this is a good fit. 6' 2" and 210 lbs are you able to do toe tricks with this ski or it more of a fun wake jumper with basic handle tricks? Use to be a mid 5k tricker 30 years ago. I'm leaning towards a normal 44" with rubber boots at the moment. Not sure about all this hardshell stuff. I recently picked up a 90's 42" Connelly off Craigslist and it has given me the itch. Not a ride bad ride but feels a bit small for an old fat guy.