'87 Ski Supreme with lots of chips missing in paint

mattcrout

I'm looking at a used 87 Ski Supreme, and while the owner put a lot of work into the motor, new driveshaft bearings, new upholstery, there are a lot of chips of paint all along the water line, as well as down the centerline keel. The owners didn't seem worried about it. It's been out of the water for about 18 months. What would it cost to fix the paint, or is it a lost cause and I should do a hard pass on this boat, even if it is mechanically in good shape? Thanks in advance!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AvdWpvZSER7FP7FB6

• Baller
In my opinion, if looking at that era used boats I’d strongly recommend others besides Supreme . 85-95 window - Plenty of great Mastercraft, Brendella, Correct Craft, and others . Supremes had some issues. To your question of gel-coat nicks and chips, quality gel coat repairs are expensive. Looks like that boats had a rough life . You can go with other fillers and paint if ok with that approach . You’ll need estimates from from those who do that sort of work . Also not sure if that vintage Supreme has wood stringers and flooring. If so another negative . Personally..... I’d pass

• Baller
If the hull identification number has a G in it, chine lock tendencies could be an issue. (that was the G mold) Fiberglass stringers started in 86. If you run the boat and it porpoises a little bit at wide open throttle, it is probably not one of the chine walkers. If it leans to the driver side and doesn't porpoise, pass on it. The chine lock can be fixed / reduced by taking hook off of the port side.

• Baller
As others have mentioned, but not stated plainly, that is gel-coat, not paint. For it to look like that means there has been some abuse or some serious issues with the fiberglass underneath. I’d pass, unless you want to strip that boat completely, prep and respray the entire hull with new ge-coat. Not impossible, people do it, but even if you do it yourself is going to be a good amount of time and money.