2006 Prostar 197

Ufda

• Baller

I was planning to look at boats in the spring but a 2006 Prostar 197 came on the market recently. Question: Will I like it's wake? The boat checks all the other boxes I think (perfect pass, bow rider for carrying lots of kids around, price and engine hours seem reasonable).

I do mostly slalom, 30-32mph 15' off. Hoping to ski more often and improve starting next spring.

Can you tell me how this Prostar 197 would compare to the other boats I've skied? They are a '94 Malibu Echelon (fantastic wake) and an '03 Malibu Sunsetter LXI (pretty good wake, but not as good as the echelon; has a very noticeable bump at 22' off).

• Administrators

197 was a good boat & the wakes were comparable to the other top boats of its era.

Thinking about how to answer your question, I'm tempted to speculate about how one boat compares to but - I think realistically you have to ski behind that exact boat. I would not buy an older boat without skiing behind it & driving it. it could be awesome and it could be a nightmare.

• Baller
I have an 05 197 TT. With proper technique, the wake is an absolute non-issue. Some boats are slightly better or worse at speeds and line lengths, but I honestly think you can overthink it. Our 197 has been awesome and is built like a tank. Great boat especially for a public lake skier. Compared to the others you list, I think you’ll be taking a step forward on the wakes regardless.

• Baller

I agree with the idea of skiing it to test, but that’s not an option for me this time of year. Which might mean it’s not worth the risk and I should just wait for spring.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

• Baller

I had an a beautiful 04 197 and the wake is really a non issue. Yes its a bit firmer at 22 than a nautique of that vintage, but you get the open bow. This was mine until it moved to Arvin. Boats are hard to come by and waiting till spring could mean no boat at all. I wouldn’t hesitate based only on the wake. The malibu resonse lxi wont be any better. So your only choice that would be better wake wise is a closed bow 196.

tomuklshhfno.jpeg

• Baller
My first "real" ski boat was a '94 Echelon. Great, but also all I knew at that time. Currently have '13 197WTT. Also ski behind my ski partner's '06 197. No problem. His wife skis 28-30mph. No big issue with the wake. Good luck!

• Baller
The 197’s have got to be one of the best looking boats ever made. I’ve had the opportunity to ski behind one that belongs to a good friend. Wake was great, and the build quality really stands out. I would love to own one of these.

• Baller

My brother owned a 2005 Prostar TT and put 1500 hours worth of slalom course time on it in record time. It was a great boat. Handled really well, was great on a public lake. Nice space, great build.

Late in the hulls life it got a bad rap on the tourney circuit for kids trying to slalom long line low speeds. It's a nice boat.

Closed bow I would go SN 196 in that vintage. For open bow the Prostar or a Response Lxi--or for that matter a SN 206 if you can find one. The Prostar and SN build quality are better than the 'Bu. I'll take grief for that but all you have to do is look anywhere there isn't a main wear area to see corners cut in a 'Bu. Still nice boats...but not quality EVERYWHERE like the SN and Prostar.

Shoot pop the seat up on my buddies 2017 Txi and still find exposted tips of wood screws.

• Baller_

Most boats have a bump at 22off. The 197 is a great boat . . let condition, price and your test drive be the big factors. If you plan on skiing in tournaments, you will want to have updated Perfect Pass speed control. If PP hasn't been updated it costs about 1200 to update it yourself to the latest version which includes GPS, Accelerometer sensing and the new Gauge for the dashboard. According to most accounts, the latest updates are close enough to ZO used in the new boats in tournaments.

• Baller
If I'm not mistaken, I think that is the first year Mastercraft had drive by wire throttle control. It is easily converted to new ECM and Zero Off, where you will have a great tournament ski boat for the cost for many years to come.