Any advice for getting comfortable on a trick ski?

jgills88

• Baller

I have been trying trick on and off for 4 years now and can't do anything on aside from slippery slalom a pass or two and very occasionally I can do a S, and a Full Back, but fall before I can turn back to the boat. I don't feel like I've given it a very fair shot because I give up on it in favor of working on the other two events whenever tournament season rolls around.

That said, I bought a trick ski (actually a pair of them if I should "reset" all the way to 2 skis) last fall and I want to give it a genuine try when the weather starts cooperating. What can I do to give myself the best chance at actually progressing this year (besides more water time with it)?

• Baller
@jgills88 it sounds like you’re at the perfect place in your development for some coaching. If possible, I’d get to a ski school. If not possible, try to get some video coaching. There are a few amazing trick coaches on GiveGo. I considered saying to just ride the ski as much as possible, but I do think it’s important to learn to ride it correctly. Edging instead of leaning, making sure you’re standing properly on the ski, soft legs, handle in the right spot. The basics always matter on a trick ski, and can take you far if you learn them early and drill them like a Belarusian.

• Baller
Practice time and lots of falls. I didn't start tricking until I was 40. I have a 2 ski trick pass and a 1 ski trick pass. Inverts are not in my future and I haven't really committed to toes yet. Maybe someday, but 2 ski tricks are fun.

• Baller

I picked tricking back up several years ago after moving out of the wakeboard phase. I bought a pair of entry level O'Brien Pro Tracs and started right about where you are. My humble opinion...

1. Make sure you on the right size ski

2. A higher end ski undoubtedly out performs a low end ski

3. Get a good fitting binding that supports your foot and ankle very well

4. as you stated in your post, spend more time on the trick

The first three were a gamechanger for me and actually drove the 4th one. I went from the 42" obrien, to a used 43" D3 custom ($200 shipped). I also went from the cheaper O'brien lace-up binding to a D3 leverage. ($179) In a matter of a few summers I went from basic surface turns to learning several wake tricks, 2 inverts and a few toe turns all while not breaking the bank. Are there better skis and bindings out there for tricking? Sure, but for what I do, my setup works very well and gives me a lot of room to grow. Tricking was a great way for us to spend more time on public water after more boats came out.

• Baller

If you are on an O'Brien Pro Trac - Step 1, get on a different ski.

It is really important to learn how to stand properly on a trick ski and understand how the ski will react. This will drastically increase the rate at which you can learn new tricks.

One drill that can help make sure that you are standing in the center of the ski is to take your rear foot out of the kicker. This will force you to flex your ankle and bring your knee over your front foot. Edge the ski around and learn how to control the ski without your rear foot.

• Baller

@Broussard they actually are a pair of Pro Tracs from the 80s, i picked em up for $30 on Facebook. I agree that i should keep an eye out for a different ski.

Thanks for the drill! I've done that once before and I think it really helped for a set or so, sounds like I should do that more consistently to make the benefits stick