ski that is too big

Begin

Upgraded from an 67" ep comp 1 to a 69" ho omni and progressed handily last year. Skied the course for the first time last year sadly didnt make bouy 2. Im 39 and learned to ski at 5 and slalom by 9 and spent a good portion of teens through 20s on a wakeboard. Weighing 165 and skiing at 34 mph is this ski too big. What benefit should i expect to see with a higher end ski?

• Baller_

IMO your ski is to big, and you should look in to some lessons - You are like me, skied forever but probably have been skiing wrong - the course does a fine job of humbling you. Once you start to get it right it is SO GREAT!!

BTW welcome to BOS, this is a great place to learn your craft.

• Baller
@Begin - Last summer we bought my wife a 67" Omni, I took it for a few rides last season at 34mph. We went a little big for her to help her with getting up. I am about 175lbs and 5'9", the 67 was a good fit for me. At 34mph the ski was great through 32off, at 35 I had a hard time getting the ski to slow down. Last season I tested about a half dozen high end skis (D3, Goode, Radar, HO) and of all of them at 32off I felt the Omni was easiest (and most fun) to ski, after 32 things changed for me. The Omni is a relatively low drag ski, it was designed to be easy to ski. If I was looking to buy a ski to run -32 all day long, a 67" Omni would be my choice based on my experience last season.

• Baller

It’s fine for a beginner course skier at 26-28...there is NO WAY you can learn the course at 34.

It’s not the ski as why you didn’t make it past the second ball, it’s you (harsh but true....keep’in it real).

Course skiing is a totally different animal...start slow and work your way up. Solid instruction from a pro will get you heading in the right direction, and teach you the fundamentals that are required to succeed at this.

When you do progress, it is a bit too long at your weight.

I appreciate the feedback. In my 30 years of skiing and watersports ive only had 1 opportunity to try the course. Hopefully that will change in the near future but open water skiing is where i spend my time.