Slalom Ski Recommendation - replace my ancient HO Phantom

CleverName

Mid-50s skier. 5'7", 165 lbs. Started getting back into skiing last fall after a shoulder injury took me out several years ago. Live on a lake and am currently course skiing 2-3 mornings a week at 30 MPH behind a Nautique 196. My ancient HO Phantom just isn't doing it for me. I haven't bought or looked at skis or binding in years.

After reading this forum, I'm leaning toward the Radar Senate series. I also have my eye on a used 2016 Radar Lithium Vapor. Ski and binding recommendations?

• Baller
No, you need the Syndicate Omni or you could pay a little less and get the Carbon Omni but not the HO Omni. You could fit it with a Front Animal Boot and a Venom rear and you'll be rocking. If you want a toe plate on the back, HO has two to choose from; one of which is adjustable. I use the RTP on the back.

• Baller
@CleverName actually any new ski or from the past 5-6 years would be an improvement. Syndicate Omni or Senate are both great choices especially now that you are skiing at lower speed and they will take you a long way until you will need another “more advanced” ski. Try to use your boots at the beginning if possible and them change to newer boots.

Thanks. I'm loving this great advice. Looks like I'll be looking for a good price on a new or used Sydnicate or Carbon Omni or Radar Senate.

I want to change my bindings as well. I've got the HO Animal bindings, but they are well worn and honestly have always been a bit too small for me anyway. What are some good recommendations?

This morning I tried out my buddy's ski with the black Connelly Sidewinder Bindings. I liked the way the Sidewinder's feel, but they were a bit odd to get out of after skiing with the release lever on the heel. They were actually my correct size (I believe) but when trying to remove them they were tough to get off. Do these things actually release when you fall?

PS - I'll need a binding I can fit some foot beds in. My late middle-aged arches need the support after years of running and skiing. :)

• Baller
I was on a 68” Phantom for 15 years. I tried 5 or 6 skis from a few ski makers back in 2015/16 and ended up on a 68” HO VTypeR. If you’re going new and your budget allows I suggest that you give the top of the line models from a few makers a try. There are demo programs available through a few factories and some retail shops. If going used check out ski it again https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Slalom

Those Carbitex boots look awesome and EXpen$$$ive! Ha. How good would a less expensive mid-range boot and a Sole brand foot bed be for me? I just did some digging under the bed and (jackpot!) already got the Sole foot beds in great condition.

• Baller

Don't change your ski and bindings at the same time, been there done that and it wasn't pretty. Demo skis if you can with your own boots. A lot of great skis out there. I vote for Radar Vapor Pro Build, but that is because I am on one.

Cheers

Ali

• Baller

@CleverName I have said it before , you must demo, lots of people here with good intensions and good suggestions, but what they might like, might not be what you like, if you demo a few skis, there will be one that stands out, ask friends if they are willing to let you demo their ski (Just understand that some people would not want to do that) , so ask in a gentle way.

Good Luck, I hope you find what you are looking for, I think there is a song with those words.

• Baller
FWIW, we have a couple of Senates in the family quiver, and a couple of Vapors. I'm pushing 60 and am just a recreational free skier at 30-32mph (I can make a 15 off pass on the rare occasion that I'm around a course). I bought a Senate years ago because it's highly recommended, and marketed to my type of skiing. However, I happened to try the original green Vapor and liked it much better and bought it used. A few years later, I bought another Vapor a few model years newer, and handed the old one down to my 16 yr old son, who was coming off a Senate. He likes it much better. I have a numbers of guests that tag along for their only 2-3 ski outings a summer. Not beginners but somewhere less capable than I. None of them choose the Senate after skiing both. All prefer the Vapor. Just FYI. It's quite a bit more universal than marketed.