Best set up for skiing-GoPro Hero (9) or Max

C5Quest

• Baller
We are very happy with our Hero 9 and Ski Doc set up. The image quality and stabilization is superb and more than adequate for video analysis of technique. But you won’t get highlight reel “footage”. The max digital zoom available is just 2x, and digital zoom by nature results in a loss of resolution. Plus, owing to the physical time lag of the camera rotation on the Ski Doc, 2x is limited to lower level skiers who don’t pull too wide and ski out of frame. 1.4x (max digital zoom for higher resolutions) is pretty good for shorter line lengths and better skiers who get higher on the boat, but at 1.4x you don’t have a very tight image. Again, it’s very useful for instruction, which is the main point for us. You can of course zoom in further during replay, but since that is also a digital enlargement you will lose additional resolution. The package is convenient, compact and easy to use, plus the camera is water proof to some shallow depth I can’t recall at the moment, but it’s certainly not vulnerable to getting incidental water damage in the boat. It’s an invaluable, unmanned, hands-free learning tool, especially if you don’t have a knowledgeable observer in the boat who could shoot with a hand held DSLR and a longer optical zoom lens for the absolute best results.

• Baller
Wake eye app on a cell phone has been my go-to for years at this point. You can't beat the auto start/stop at set speeds, it's amazing. Set it and forget it. On an iPhone 10 I can zoom to about 1.5x and and still get great footage.

Any GoPro with GPS works great even at 15 off. Download the the GoPro Labs QR software to enable the speed trigger. Once installed you can teach your camera speeds to start/stop recording just like wakeye. I record at 1080 and can easily see issues that I need to fix. Images are much clearer than anything I've seen on phone cameras. Playback in slow motion using Windows media player to really pick apart your runs.

• Baller

The Hero9 "GoPro labs" firmware also lets you burn-in the current speed into the video. It displays in M/S but could be useful for skiers that run multiple speeds and might not be sure what speed a given pass was run at.

Also, the Hero9 has the removable lens for the "Max lens mod" which makes the viewing angle wider- so it is not useful at all for waterskiing, but now that the camera has a removable lens I assume that before long someone will make an aftermarket mod lens that does the opposite to give you an optical zoom that snaps on easily.

• Baller

I just purchased a GoPro Hero 9, will try it out this weekend. I made my own tracker using an old tripod head that follows fantastic using the tripod arm with a wire loop around the rope, but with my Glaxy S20 picks up the vibrations too much in any given setting, I also look forward to horizon leveling for POV chest/head/ski shots.

I think in Linear Mode in 4k 60fps the zoom/crop looks pretty decent. Also with the 4k you can edit in 2k or HD and essentially zoom in 2x and still have great looking video. I have a degree in video production and using GoPro's since they came out, should have some great videos out to share soon of me hacking through the course. c51hhhsyn6i9.jpg

• Baller

I know this as been discussed in the past but what the best iPhone again for wakeye? I think after the 6 no bueno ? I had an older model that worked great but can’t recall which. Going to check eBay for a 5 or 6 non plus model.

• Baller

@MichaelWiebe I was bummed when the Hero10 came out already, should have waited and done more research; with that said I am super happy with the Hero 9, just knowing a newer version is out ugh... @Horton been posting footage from the Hero 10. From the boat I I like shooting in 4k 60fps so I can get 50% smooth slow motion as a study tool and also crop in / digital zoom in post and still look good. While I am a pro video editor for my job, I still like the GoPro color profile rather than the pro / flat mode to save time. I am posting, more content on my youtube channel "ActionSportsPlaygrounds". While the Max Lens Mod is not required to run the Horizon Lock, I just recently got it to have a wider angle for POV Shots like these (skiing poorly for me this day as I had not slept in 2 days)

Here is a from the pylon follow rope angle of a funny crash from yesterday truing to do a back spin in open water

• Administrators
The title of this thread mentions the Max. I don't believe from the boat footage with the Max would be acceptable. It does all kinds of amazing other stuff but not footage from the boat.

• Baller

Saw on the other thread about setting gps on new GoPro’s with QR code. Have old GoPro but new max (for kitesurfing and the like).

Thought I’d try the QR code thing - works like a dream and will make a real change as can now view each pass right after my set before I go out again.

Am on holiday in PortoHeli (Greece) this is a sunset pass from last night with the gogpro max set to: 1060/60fps/ narrow and 53kph start/stop.

It’s a 13m (32off) pass raw footage lifted straight to my phone app and then drop box.

Using my “travel mount” which is piece of plastic pipe which slides over the pylon :)

Looks perfect for what I want. Won’t be going back to old GoPro and no need for a new one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y16hrc07i2yozge/PortoHeli2021.MP4?dl=0