Which Radar Senate to buy??

ttoles

Need some water ski advice, please. I'm in the market for new Radar Senate ski and would like opinions on the various options: Alloy, Graphite, Lithium, and Pro variants. Amazing how different is the pricing (from $500 to $1500) as you walk up the line. I've been skiing for 20+ years with 95% of that open water and only 5% on the course. I've recently been connecting with some friends on a private lake so attempting to learn the course. I expect the vast majority of my skiing to continue to be open water but want to have a ski that is good for the course for when I want to do that. I'm currently on a CR7 (that is 16 years old) and I ski year round about 2-3x per week here in Texas. I'm 215 pounds so I want a ski that can hold up to the pressure from a guy my size. I ski 36 mph on open water and 33-34 in the course. I've done a demo on the Pro model and like it, but kinda feel that my type of skiing won't really get the value out of the $1500 ski. Wondering what this group's experience has been like on the Alloy/Graphite models and how course friendly they might be? No one ever went broke saving $1000, right? However, if there is too much sacrifice with Alloy/Graphite then I just need to make some more money and buy top end Pro model. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

• Baller
Lithium was the build of the top end ski from Radar in 2016, and that was probably the most successful ski in history. If you're skiing the course and looking to do more of that, I'd say Lithium or Pro personally.

• Baller

Cores can change a ski a lot.

If all you have experienced is the Pro and you Kiki I would either:

Get the Pro

Or get a demo on another lesser model before you buy.

Hand Built here in USA May make a difference as well. The Lithium in 2016, which was referenced above and popular, was I believe built that way.

Your weight is also relevant as you may need stiffness. Core changes can affect stiffness, flex, rebound and weight is related to all three.

• Baller

I've owned 3 Senates, still have 2. Alloy was most forgiving, Graphite was most well rounded, Lithium was fast and least forgiving. Skiing is a mix of open water, and large public lake ski course. I ski the large public lake course 90% of the time, open water 10%. Lithium is awesome if conditions allow. If it gets windy or boat traffic the ski is too busy and my skiing suffers significantly. The graphite was by far the most well rounded, with a great balance of forgiveness and performance. The alloy was very forgiving. It was slow to react compared the graphite or lithium, but not in a bad way. I'm a 32mph 22-28'off skier.

FWIW I kept the Lithium and my wife skis the Graphite. Sold the Alloy.

• Baller
I am 6'2" also about 215lbs. I picked up a new Senate Graphite 69" back in Sept 2020. Great Ski and huge improvement coming off my 1997 Connelly Revolution Speed Base. Now that 95% of my skiing is on private course and I am upping my speeds, I am looking for a new ski. Please message me if you are interested in purchasing my 2020 Senate Graphite.

• Baller

Fwiw.

I have skied 5 different Senates.

The last years modell are more forgiving compare to previous modells.

Different core are already mentioned.

Softer cores might suite you better since you ski a lot open water?

My experience is that most folks advance faster in the course with a less advanced ski.

Might be rather different speed free skiing and learn the course? Ski size.....

Some requirments are most likely contradictionary? Hard to find just one ski that fulfill all requierments...

I am on a Lithium 2020 now and only ski in the course.