Which Reflex boot for slalom

jnan66

• Baller

are you already on a reflex system with classic black cuff? If you just want to change your boot to a new one, go for the “classic trick” shell. If you want to buy a new system, you might get a lot of suggestions. It’s more of a personal preference.The “classic slalom” is the same as the latest white cuff shell. Cut off tongue and flexion brake, is the difference with the “trick” one

• Baller

what is that last sentence supposed to be? The White cuff (the cuff itself) is supposed to be softer than the black cuff. The base of both boots is the same. The white cuff boot has the strap from heel to cuff “the flexion brake”. The black is supposed to be stiff enough to not need it. The black was all there was for a few years. I skied that one and liked it, performance wise, but it made my foot start cramping and made long sets pretty impossible. The SuperShell came out and it was SO MUCH more comfortable

for my foot

that I never spent more than a set or 2 using the White Cuff. The Supershell is a wider fit, but is much stiffer throughout, both base and cuff as for recommendations: I’d still be in the black shell if it fit. I was between the XL and the XXL (10-12) and neither fit well. The Supershell 10 fit perfectly. The link

put up is a very long discussion on modifying the Supershell to make it “the optimal ski boot”.From what I’m seeing and hearing, the new Radar Vapor boot may be that boot.

• Baller

@aupatking, @Horton is correct, except for the m instead of b typo in “by”.

The base of the white and black are different. White open cuff and shorter base allows fore and aft movement, the combination of closed black cuff and taller base restrict pretty much all movement. This combination has far more impact than the cuff’s stiffness, which is not that different as per my finger test... 69d5b88lpsbn.jpeg

xqpdhd95hm9d.jpeg

5dmwkgpv4j1d.jpeg

• Baller

@ral his original post said “os” not “is”. It was just enough typos that I wasn’t sure about what he was trying to say.

Also, cut that “tongue” thing out of the heel of the black boot and there is zero difference between the 2. I was wondering if someone would pick me apart on that one. All I was trying to point out was differences in materials. Reflex used to tout the white cuff as being of a softer durometer plastic. Like you though, I could never feel a difference

• Baller
Cutting that tongue was the first mod we slalomers did before the white cuff boot was available. That plus the open lower part of the cuff allows the free fore-aft movement, and are the only big difference between both. And the reason for the achilles protecting safety strap.

• Baller

8i524x7lwrkq.jpeg

So @ral @Horton which white cuff? The one on the right has a bigger opening, less plastic at the back and yes you are probably right about ankle movement. The white cuff shell in the middle is one of the latest and it is exactly the same as a black cuff and actually the same as the one they sell now called “classic slalom”.

The one to the left is a classic black cuff shell which now is sold as “classic trick”

Both white ones have the tongue removed.

Personally I prefer the black classic boot, but I have ordered the 2022 Radar to try.

• Baller
I currently ski on the T-factor and love the binding , but I have had some falls where I didn`t release properly and hurt my ankle. The reason I look at the Reflex binding is for SAFETY only, not performance. I have tried the Reflex black binding twice but felt limited in movement front/back and couldn`t ski as fluid as in the T-factor. I went back to the T-factor but I always ski with a little feeling of fear for not releasing in a fall. This season I think I will try to give the Reflex a new try and will go for the "slalom" (white cuff) since it seems better in front/back movement and closer to the rubber binding in that perspective. I hope starting the season on Reflex (not changeing mid season) can help as well. Thanks Johan

• Baller

I have been to a number of ski clinics as a driver where Kris LaPointe was the coach in the boat. After almost every skier with a hard shell would run their second pass Kris would ask them if they were able to loosen the top buckle a couple clicks. It made a remarkable difference. Look up Andy Mapples tips on YouTube for guidelines on how tight each buckle should be on a Reflex.

When switching to a hard shell for the first time leave the buckles somewhat loose even less then the binding you’re used to. You can tighten them progressively as you advance.

• Baller

No idea. I have the white cuff that I’m trying to make the transition to from the Vapor boot. I ruptured my Achilles in 2017 on the Vapor from the tail blowing out. It was my fault. I always pulled the top bungee super tight to the point I had to replace the bungee every 2 months. Maybe the Achilles was just ready to explode. I heard it pop as I turned the buoy.

I’m also transitioning to the R plate from double Vapors. It seeks like every coach here in Florida is anti rear boot. I guess when you look at the podium finishes it’s pretty evident.