Spraymakers - Season 4 - Episode 8 Outbound Direction

ROBOT

• Baller

I just finished listening to this one. I am only slightly embarrassed to say that in the last couple of episodes I've had to hit the "back" button a few times to listen to something again and again. I get the concepts being described eventually, but the talk about Tilt and Reverse-C took me longer to visualize. Still, I'm always chomping at the bit ready for the next episode to get released. I'm loving all these new ways of thinking about my skiing!

• Like 1

• Baller

I'm glad to see that others have responded to this post, because I've listened to this episode multiple times and I am unsure if I get it. I think this is a spot in the course where I know I do a ton of things wrong, but the idea of keeping my hip on that handle while NOT pulling long has blown my mind. We've been in a rain / cold spell in Seattle the last couple of days so I have yet to get out on the water and try this, but I am really struggling with the idea. If Trent or Rossi could post some images or discuss this further I'd like to hear or see more. If I understand correctly:

a. It all starts with the correct stacked / balanced position where we accelerate to the wakes.

b. At the centerline transition to the inside edge, but do NOT do that with your upper body. Your arms, chest, core should actually relax at this point, but do not move relative to the handle which will stay on your hip. The only thing that moves is your lower body, which I take to mean knees and ankles essentially, to roll the ski over onto that inside edge.

c. You keep this position as long as possible, riding the line out to apex, and then you finally let go of the rope and turn.

Do I have that right? This is way different than anything I think about post-centerline up to now and so I really want to be sure I've got the ideas down correctly. Trent said there can be so many wrong consequences from doing it incorrectly and I'm sure that I'll do that a lot! haha

Kevin

Edited by KRoundy

• Baller

@KRoundy I think you have that right. For (b), I like what @ColeGiacopuzzi said in reply to one of my recent posts. Think of it as standing up as you cross centerline. But you are right, do not lead with your upper body. And, of course, your edge change will not finish until you are well past the spray line.

When I picture my body hitting centerline, I picture myself allowing my body to get pulled up by the boat, but I make sure my ski's path is not changing.

I'll use Joel Howley's slow-motion video of 41-off (because we're all trying to fine-tune our -41 passes, right?!). 😉 Seriously though, notice that he is just starting to stand up as he crosses centerline. He doesn't even get to a flat ski until he's way outside -- way out there before he allows the ski's top to be visible from the boat.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

• Baller

@o2bnMaine Good images and discussion. I think what you said about your edge change not finishing until way past the spay line is also a very different thought for me. I have been trying to pull to centerline and then getting onto my inside edge as soon as possible. Apparently trying to do that is what is making me ski directly to the buoy so frequently! 

• Baller
4 minutes ago, KRoundy said:

Well, my first attempt was a complete disaster. So much slack line! 

If you could change the way you've been skiing in only one set,you'd be a hero for all of us!

Keep on trying!

• Like 2

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!