Giving up

Chet

• Baller_

I’ve been in the boat watching Lou ski. Never give up is an understatement. I’ve never said to the other person in the boat “”…op, he’s done..nope he made that ball..but he’s not gonna make the ne….oh wow, he made that one too ..but now he’s prob do..  son of a bitch he made that one too. . That’s all 6. Shortening the rope.””  …. until watching Lou ski. 

No lie, our ski group refers to the skier that didn’t give up on a pass and it payed off as “pulling a Lou”. 

I’ve also had the pleasure of listening to his stories about his days as a Notre Dame football player. Every story had a life lesson. At least that’s my take away. Been a good while since I’ve seen him having not skied tournaments in some time. Look forward to running into him again. Just a great guy. Thanks for sharing the above 

• Like 2

• Baller

Chet, thank you for posting that inspirational story....I needed to hear Lou's story.

Its been 1.5 years since I experienced multiple leg fractures (1 - femur, 3 - tib/fib's,) and a crushed foot (front foot of course)... hopefully one day I will have a life / skiing success story to pass on to my children.

XOXO for Nate 

• Like 2

• Baller_

Lou is a warrior. I wanted to both congratulate him for an amazing feat and encourage those who have been struggling and trying hard to find a path. Sometimes the steps forward seem so small but often those baby steps lead to amazing results. And  in our sport even the effort to move forward is so worth the journey.

• Like 5

• Baller
On 7/17/2023 at 8:07 PM, Wish said:

I’ve been in the boat watching Lou ski. Never give up is an understatement. I’ve never said to the other person in the boat “”…op, he’s done..nope he made that ball..but he’s not gonna make the ne….oh wow, he made that one too ..but now he’s prob do..  son of a bitch he made that one too. . That’s all 6. Shortening the rope.””  …. until watching Lou ski. 

No lie, our ski group refers to the skier that didn’t give up on a pass and it payed off as “pulling a Lou”. 

I’ve also had the pleasure of listening to his stories about his days as a Notre Dame football player. Every story had a life lesson. At least that’s my take away. Been a good while since I’ve seen him having not skied tournaments in some time. Look forward to running into him again. Just a great guy. Thanks for sharing the above 

This guy describing Lou ski is exactly what I was thinking the first time I saw Slade Cole ski.   I thought he was going to die first pass and by the time he was into 38 I was at a loss for words.  Somehow he just kept making 6...

• Baller

Do I have to hurt myself to prove I’m not giving up?   

I gave up playing basketball because I was constantly getting hurt, which was preventing me from skiing.  Does that make me a quitter?

That’s awesome if Lou has worked his way thru multiple injuries to get back to skiing at a high level, I wish I could ski somewhere close to that.  But I’m guessing Chet’s point isn’t to ski with reckless abandon to show you are not quitting.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller_

Absolutely not. Reckless abandon is the opposite of what I recommend. Many people that ski have either been discouraged or injured. Skiing is a tough game. It requires a certain level of dedication and hard work. Doing it is fun. Improving and overcoming obstacles can be hard and at times discouraging. Smart ,effective and efficient training can create pathways to amazing improvement. Lou’s hard work is undeniable. His spirit to improve absolute. And the path at times elusive. But the combo paid off in a score that at times looked unattainable. Yet here we are. Now it’s a great story to tell as is any great story when it works out well.  When it’s time to move on which it can and may be my only hope is you move that passion and hard work onto the next adventure. In the mean time Lou’s story is a story of hope and commitment , hard work and endurance. Not a bad lesson.

• Like 6