Trick ski handle what

101driver

• Baller

I have put this question in this section because it is mainly about what will help me with technique.

I want to know what sort of masterline trick handle to buy. Which will help me not hinder me with technique as a novice. My friend is going over to the states in a couple of weeks and is willing to bring one back for me. The choice is bewildering so I would like some help. I am a complete trick ski novice got up behind boat for first time last night, now I am up loved it edging and turning ski. I only want to learn surface tricks I am nearly 60! I used to wake board a lot years ago and want this as an alternative to slalom.

I don't need a fancy handle yet but.........it's nice to buy nice things when you can. I figure I may as well start with what I intend to use????

What handle width, what diameter what materials ? Whats EVA? 

• Baller

Obviously no reason for a toe hold, so you might as well just use your slalom handle for now, assuming you like its sizing.  I use a 15" width wake board handle for rope-passing ease.  Yes that screams I don't know what I'm doing, but it works fine for a non-toe (hand) pass.  

• Like 1

• Baller

Thanks for reply @buechsrthat was my first concern. I hope to progress enough to be passing the handle this year, longer seems like it would be easier but I just don't know enough yet. Having done so much wrong learning to slalom badly and then having to re learn I figure I should ask advice this time.

• Baller

@101driver  EVA is a soft textured foam that is on the handle grip.  It is an option vs. the traditional rubber grip like you find on slalom handles.   I have used both style grips for tricks and either should work well for you.   As far as width and diameter, that is more of a personal preference.  The standard is usually 12" width and 1" diameter.  

Bennetts boat and ski store has a trick handle w/ toe loop on sale for the same price as a hands only handle. Link shown below. 

Trick Handles | 3eventstore

A slalom rope at 28' off (14.25m) is almost the exact same length as most trick ropes so you could save a few bucks by just getting the trick handle and swapping it on a slalom line.  

Tricking is awesome and a great way to spend more time on the water when finished with a slalom set or if the water is too rough for slalom skiing.  Hope this helps in your decision.

• Baller

@h2onhkThank you for your reply and advice. I will check out the link. Swapping the handle out on my slalom line would be a good way to go for me.  The camera gimbal makes changing ropes difficult, as no one is short line I could run the line the wrong way round and shorten the handle to the 28 off then extend it for our jump ski practice drills.

If standard is 1" and 12" I guess I should start with that.

Thank You