Good Speed vs Bad Speed Podcast || FPM Podcast #9

• Administrators

Join Marcus and Rob as they dive into the world of Speed! A subject that comes with lots of ins and outs and definitely one that may change the way you think about attacking the course! We hope you enjoy this episode and as always... Happy Flowpointing!

For more FPM info head to:
https://www.FlowPointMethod.com

This podcast is Available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and Spotify! - Search "FPM Podcast"

Chapters
00:00 - Intro
00:32 - How does path relate to speed
01:40 - How Cold Water Can be a Good Way To Feel This
02:50 - How your Movement in a Tail Wind Can Show A Weakness 
04:32 - How is Speed Shown at the Pro Level
06:55 - Is Speed or Your Path More Important
09:10 - What Goes in comes out
13:25 - Pick a Thing to Work on and Stick With it!
14:10 - Gates and Speed
17:00 - How to Deal with Speed on a Narrow Gate

• Like 1

• Baller

@RobHazelwood @MarcusBrown

Can you just say that good speed is "early" and bad speed is "late"?

It helps me to think about swing speed vs skier speed over the water?  When you say you are skiing fast at the buoy I think you are "late" and at the point in the swing where you are moving side to side and up on the boat (peak "over the water" speed).  If you are "early" then at that same moment in the swing you are not pointed at the buoy and instead you can get wide and slow down to the boat speed so that you can make a turn without slack.  On the other hand, if your swing speed is slow then you can't get wide and will be pulling all the way to the buoy, narrow and slow.

• Like 1

• Baller_

@lundbergthose are great points!

I believe it to be true that building speed early (asap out of buoy) is the ideal. That DOES NOT mean trying to grab cross course angle, and subsequent load, right out of the buoy. Those often get conflated.

Too many times have I heard the "be patient out of the buoy" phrase, without any context or further instruction.

Being patient out of the buoy could be one of the worst misconceptions out there...in general,....and leads to a lot of "late" speed into the next buoy.

• Like 2