Dakar Rally

DW

• Baller_

Not that it is a big deal to those on this forum, but terrorism ended the Dakar Rally before it started.  Instead of running through Northern Morocco right now, I am bag home in the USA (without 2 bags that were lost thanks to the airlines, one on the way and one on the return) lamenting the fact that I will get no race fix for a while.

The Dakar rally is the first sporting event to get cancelled by a terrorist threat, it was made directly at the rally by Al-Queda #2 leader, so the organizers had to cancel the rally.  Four French tourists and 8 military guards have been killed since December 24 in terrorist attacks in Mauritania.  A written threat was then posted on the Al Queda website, denouncing "the cross" and the infidels and the focus of the ruling elite on the rally.

Several of the race teams focus solely on the Dakar rally, it is the main race program for several manufacturers and the level of investment for this rally is staggering.  Many teams spend several millions for this event, Mauritania was poised to benefit to the tune of $30 million Euros, etc...

Sad day indeed.  Might be some food for thought on making sure we can keep them from entering the USA and causing similar disruptions.

• Administrators

I would like to see the terrorists try to stop Daytona. If you made all the Jr., Stewart and Gordon fans mad enough we could get something done!  

Go # 88

• Baller_
There was a remarkable increase in security at the 2002 Daytona event.  Lots of air power constantly flying over to guard the area.  It was pretty cool to watch.

• Baller

DW,  Did they let the Dakar participants vote on if they wanted to continue despite the threats? 

Are you going to be at the Rolex 24hr?

I like to go up to the track in the afternoon and watch them go from day to night.

-Rod A.

• Baller_

Nope, remember the French run the show.  The French government told the organizers there were credible terrorist threats (and reading the stuff on the links there certainly were), 12 people killed by terrorists in a week, so they pulled the plug.  They could not really make any other decision, way too much risk.  I would be willing to bet the insurance company might have had something to say about the race.  The organizers are already planning the 2009 edition of the race, announcement in late February.

I will be at the 24 hour on Thurs/Fri and looking like I am off to the Laughlin SCORE race on Saturday.  The new DP's will be running, several of them showing up from Riley, Coyote and Lola.