Trashed my ski last night

jwr

• Baller
I came around three ball last night and got some slack.  I actually skied over the wrope, so I let go of the handle.  The handle hit my ski and took a chunck out of the side of it.  Now I'm not sure what to do.  It doesn't effect my skiing, but I'm afraid if I don't do anything it will further damage the ski.  Should I put some epoxy on it, or sent it to Obrien to fix it, or ski on it the rest of the year and then use that as an excuse to buy a new ski next year.  The only problem is, I really like this ski and don't want another, and wouldn't want to send it off until after nationals.

• Baller
Drill the ding out with a 1/4 drill bit.  You want as much of the crushed and torn fibers and core out of there. For an epoxy, I would use marinetex. They make a very liquid epoxy that will run down into the fibers. I usually start the repair with that and then let it set so that it's just below the surface. Then use their quick setting epoxy on the surface, sand, and paint to match. If you have a West Marine store anywhere close you can get the marinetex epoxies from them. I was a paint and body guy by trade for a while and people are usually fairly amazed at how well you can repair a ski from a deep handle ding. Not to mention that you fix snow skis the same way. You'd be amazed at the damage you can repair on a snow ski. I wish I wouldn't have deleted the series of pictures yesterday that I had of the last repair I made on an RS1. The handle hit on the outside edge of the ski and crushed the edge.  It had pushed the bottom layer and graphic about a 1/2 inch out.  I drilled out the damaged area, clamped the ski edge to edge in a vise(using wood strips to protect the ski edges) to pull the side back into alignment, then filled as I mentioned above using marinetex. 

• Baller
That is how mine is, it is on the edge of the ski.  That sounds like  a good idea, but I'm so terrible at fixing things of this nature.  I might see if a boat repair shop will fix it.  I live on the coast, so there are a ton of fiberglass shops around.   I bet it will be hard to match that beautiful Sixam SS green/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-laughing.gif

• Baller
I just don't know that I could do that.  It wasn't a problem with the ski, it was something I did.  I wouldn't mind paying Obrien to repair it, though.  So, maybe I will email them and see it they will repair it, and if it is ok to ski on until after nationals.

• Administrators
Bummer. I sure about what O'Brien can do  - - should ask. What I can tell you is that I may have an extra blem Elite (or two) for a pretty good price if you want it.

• Baller
I emailed them to see what they would say, but haven't heard anything.  So, I got impatient and got some JB Weld.  It is on the top edge near the toes of my front foot, so it shouldn't be in the water much.  I really like the Sixam SS, but I would love to get a chance to demo an Elite.  Bringin any blems to West Palm?

• Baller

Oh come on! If the handle ding doesn't hurt your skiing, don't worry about it. I always have open core showing in many places on the skis I ski. Don't stress over it. And certainly don't make a bogus warranty claim which raises the prices for the rest of us.

JB weld will seal up the ding so the core doesn't get waterlogged. JB weld when heated a bit (use a hair dryer or heat gun) gets very thin and will wick into the fiberglass. If the chunk is large, the stick epoxy is really easy to use and fills effectively. Home Depot carries both.

I haven't used MarineTex. I build with Superfil epoxy (available at Aircraft Spruce) because it is light, easy to sand and doesn't shrink. I repair with JB weld and/or the stick epoxy.

A new ski is likely to be way more different than a repaired (or unrepaired) ski.

Of course, a new Elite might be really cool - even if it is a blem that the manufacturer put some JB weld on...

Eric

• Baller

Thanks Eric.  Yeah i would never file a bogus warranty claim, i am very much about taking responsibility for your own actions.  i only contacted OBrien about paying to have it repaired, so it would look right.  If it turns out that they will do it then i will have it done at the end of the year.  i jb welded it, but it looks like crap. 

i have skied on several same model skis and they never ski exactly the same.  i have this one pretty dialed in to where i am the limiting factor.  i just would like to keep this ski in good shape. 

if i were to get something new it would have to be a serious upgrade.  i am kind of intrigued by the elite and A1, and would like to demo them.  i really dont want to plunk down that kind of money unless it means more bouys.