Ski set up / Carbon fin

Boody

• Baller

I am on the HO A1, and have been on the Horton fin since last year.  I have had great off side turns but crappy on side turns.  After regionals, I decided to switch back to my stock fin.  This greatly improved my on side turn but I do not get as good of off-side turns.  It appears to me that the carbon fin helps the tail slide around.  Also, it looks like we tail slide on our off side turns, but not so much on our on side turns? 

Just trying to figure out ski set ups, etc.  If this is the case, I wonder if the carbon fin would work better on the S1 that more uses the "sliding" principal.  I also wonder if there could be a fin that helps sliding on one side but not the other.

• Baller

Which Carbon Fin?

I believe Horton said sometime last year that the newer skis do not need the Carbon Fin as much as the older generation did. I have one on my Fischer and it did help; but on an A1/S1 I'd take a "try it and see" approach personally.

I ran the 106 CBR for the last month on the A1 I had. I thought it was better then stock in that it was less effort to ski. I had issues with my on side (2-4) with both fins. The ski would always stop when I grabbed the handle comming out of 2-4 ball.      

boody - i should send you a CR pacific. I was fiddling around with the A1 for a while now trying to balance off both sides and getting a little stumped. i wasn't getting the offside turn or direction i needed to build equal space to two ball. 

i switched out to a 0.080" fin (from the 0.10") and this last change was the biggie - after testing a set of new Evolution Z boots, i swapped out my rear boot only  (to a Evo Z boot).  now both sides are just killing it.  i can say this is the best setup i've ever ridden. 

i am in no rush to setup this new OB elite.