Same ski different results - ride a few of the same?

skibug

• Baller

With all the ski testing, one discussion I don't see a lot of is testing of two identical skis.  I know it is true that no two skis are the same. If you had two identical 67" Brand "X", they may be very close or they may feel totally different.  This is not and indictment on quality nor is it targeted at any one brand; but, things I have heard and have seen lead me to beleive this is true.  The pro ranks might go through 10 skis of the same brand, length, etc. until they find the one that works for them.  Does it make sense for us mortals to do the same when we try a ski? 

Example:  I have a ski buddy, 2 years ago, that struggled with a 9800 coming off of a 9500.  He would run through 38 (3 out of 4) passes with the 9500 and struggle to make one 38 run in two sets.  After wasting 1/2 a season trying to dial it in, he switched back to the 9500 and still rides it today; still knocking down 38's and into 39.  I gotta believe it was a dud ski, because it wasn't the skier.  If he had the chance to ride a couple maybe he would have found a good one who knows.

So, does this add a new element to ski testing?? 

• Baller

I tried all the new skis and they didn't do anything for me ,so Iwent out and brought a couple more Sixam 2,s  as spares in casemine got damaged, going by your comments maybe it wasn't such a goodthing to do, but the Sixam 2 really does suit  the way I ski, Ihaven,t found anything else that fits my skiing as wellI. Guess I willfind out the day I screw the bindings on and ski on one, Hey maybe itwill be better, OMG what shall I do ! should I try one now.

Myhead is all over the place now,gonna go outside listen to some relaxingmusic, calm down ,put my current ski in the motor and go ski some sets,I will deal with the new ski thing when it happens, if your stick worksand hasn't gone all soft then stay with it and concentrate on yourskiing.

Manafacturers should concentrate on consistency insteadof re-inventing the wheel each year,there has been some good skis overthe years that are no longer available,and manafacturers could ofcontinued to produce them with quality and consistency they no longerproduce the Sixam 2 a great ski with good results and many Podiums,when they produce new models each year so that guy,s can be seen on thedock with the latest ski, I,m not to sure it works that well for theskier.

• Baller
Well, the big problem I see with testing multiple skis, is that you have to get the manufacturer to send you multiple skis. That could be a trying task, I think. That said, with the better technology coming out, such as the RTM process that the Elite and Fisher are/were made of, the manuacturers are able to make skis which are much closer to each other. 

• Baller
The last time I had the opportunity to test multiple skis of the same model was the 2001 HO Phantom days.  There definitely was a difference in skis, and I was able to select the best one for me.  The difference was more of feel than buoy count, though.  On the consistent side, I also have had multiple Carbonworx Outlaws, both 67 and 68 inch models.  I have a fin/fin box setup for each size, and can drop that setup into pretty much any CWX blank and run the same scores immediately.