ZO and the spread from the middle

Roger

• Baller

I was fortunate enough to be one of the two boat judges in this years Big Dawg Finals. On Thursday we swapped with the other boat every 17 (or so) skiers and were out three times per round. And of course, we were out every other skier from the Sweet 16 through the finals at night.

As part of what I do as boat judge, I write down the letter/number for ZO for each skier. I did not tally up the numbers, but it was interesting to note that the vast majority chose a setting in the A group or C group with only a sprinkling of B group skiers. Having changed a couple of months ago from B1 to C2 myself (and increasing my consistency in tournaments 10 fold), I find this very interesting.

In conversation with other drivers at our site (Okeeheelee), this seems to be something of a trend. One driver's opinion is that most skiers using a B setting are probably not skiing ZO regularly and therefor go for "middle of the road."

Thoughts?

• Baller

Good stuff Roger.

Don't forget that both of those boats were the 6 liters instead of the usual 343hps.

One of the final eight skiers made the switch down from A-3 to A-2 as he said he could feel the 6.0 differential quicker/sharper than the 343 boats.

• Baller

I was in the boat for that skier, he was not sure (and neither were we) if the difference was the 6 liter engine or just the new hull, but he did feel like the A2 setting felt better. I can say that the 6 liter in our boat was a dog out of the hole...

When you gonna visit Okeeheelee again?

• Baller

From my paperwork for the sweet16 through the finals (eight skiers for me, and then 4, then 2):

A1: 0

A2: 4 (2 skiers skied twice)

A3: 1

B1: 0

B2: 1

B3: 0

C1: 1

C2: 4 (1 skier skied four times, but used B2 in the round of 16, C2 in the 8, 4 and 2 rounds)

C3: 3

The two skiers in the final were Ben (C3) and Mark (C2).

• Baller

Great info Roger! I saw you walking around the boat during the BD webcast ;)

I am eyeing that tourney on Oct 11th actually but not sure as it's 3 rnds and not 2 days/6rnds.

If not, maybe a November 3-dayer or a trip or 2 in December?

• Baller

The walking around was a good thing as the engine cover for the 200 leaves very little room for the boat judge's legs. On Thursday, we had dedicated rope handlers so I never got to move much and when I did get up, I could barely walk for a minute. On Friday, we had the webcast guys in the boats, so I had to exchange the handles myself and that was actually much better.  

Not sure what tournament you mean in October, nothing in the Regional guide seems to match what you describe...

Come anytime, you can always score rides with John, Trish or me.

• Baller

10/17/2009 - 10/18/2009     Okeeheelee Fall Three Event Class C     3rd S  class C,    2rd T  class C,    2rd J  class C

Divisions: All Sponsor: Ski Club of the Palm Beaches Site:    USAS0364 Okeeheelee Park Location: West Palm Beach, FL Entry:

TowBoat:  Open

Open Entry Limit: 80 Pulls - Day Entry Fees: 3 Pulls $85 - 4 Pulls $105 Entry Deadline: 10/9/2009 Late Fee: 25   Send Entries to:Charlotte Melchers

8585 Rosalie Court

Boynton Beach, FL 33472Tournament Dir: Charlotte Melchers Chief Judge: Leza Harrison Chief Scorer: Jeff Clark Chief Boat Driver: Mark Harvat Chief Safety: Laurie Lindsey Announcer:  Tech Control:  Pan Am Judge:  Out of Area Judge:  Appointed Judges: Mark Bozicevic

Carl Lovetere

Margie Grinnell

Ruth Johnston

Nancy Luzoro Appointed Drivers: Becky Lathrop

Dennis Longo Appointed Scorer: Judi Stevens Accommodations: Hilton Airport,561.684.9400- Best Western Airport,561.471.8700- Hampton Inn Lake Worth,561.968.5000- Hawthorne Suites,561.839.1456- Radisson Airport,561.689.6888- Hampton Inn Wellington 561.472.9696 Directions: FL Turnpike to Lake Worth Rd. exit, East to Jog Road; North to Forest Hills Blvd.; West to 2nd park entrance on your right. Awards: None Practice: None Start Time: 8:00am Schedule of Events: TBA - search okeeski.com on Wed. before tournament. Comments: Only paid entries secure spot! Full refund prior to tournament deadline - 50 percent prior to Wed. of Tournament week. NO refund after Wednesday of Tournament week. Dogs must be on leash.