BIG DAWG SITES FOR 2010

skidawg

• Baller

Greg and I spoke at length at one of the Big Dawg stops this year about the need to push this event into the public arena and off of the remote private sites. I feel this is the direction he is trying to take the tour. Good for him. One must weigh the interest of the skiers and the sponsors equally if possible. In order for this type of event to flourish, the sponsors must see an identifiable return on investment. Holding the event in remote “skier-friendly†sites only serves to alienate the current roster of support and makes it impossible to engage non-endemic sponsors.

Although I may feel my site offers a suitable solution, it takes a major level of commitment from the LOC to hold one of these events. Without the support of local sponsors and tourism resources, a measurable difference from events of the past would be difficult to achieve. The logistics of hosting the tournament does not differ much from any of those we’ve previously held. The challenge would be creating an “event†as opposed to “just another tournamentâ€Â. The co-op marketing efforts that a local governing body could provide along with other cost-transfer actions will make a site more attractive than another. What must remain constant are the conditions under which the participants must compete. I remember the year the US Open was held at the Navy Pier in Chicago. Great venue for the spectator – horrible for the skier. Therefore, the performances were sub-par and the event suffered as a result.

I applaud Greg’s efforts to broaden the scope of the tour. If I submit a response to his request it will be with the confidence we can offer an appropriate event for both the skiers and the sponsors.

• Baller

Joe,

What about the Champion Lake site that is close to town?  That was a great venue for the Pro Tour stops years ago.  Would their be any interest or support on Terry's behalf to host a Big Dawg tournament at that more public friendly site?  Just a thought...... I loved the last Pro Tour stop at that lake.

• Baller
Alvin - I agree.  Ward and I were talking about that tonight.  That would be a great venue but there has not been in any activity there in several years and would take a significant effort to ready the site for a tournament.  But certainly worth investigating.

I think we have a great site for this event. Only down side is that it is relatively new and not well known yet. We are 10 min from a large metro area and 20 min from downtown Richmond, Va. I'd like to invite some of the BD skiers and/or committee members here next year to check it out. If anyone's interested, let me know.

Here is a pic the morning of our last tournament (Little Dawg tour stop #4) just a few weeks ago.

davehttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/clemsondave/skiing/IMG00010-20090913-0807.jpg

• Baller

JD's lake is only 10 minutes away from champion lake and skis much better, there has not been active skiers on champion in over 6 years.  Not sure if there is even a course there.  Use of the lake would probably be very expensive to undertake, i.e. site cleanup, site prep (new course), site rental (no active skiers and no reason to use lake for tournament other than monetary gain), but i can contact a few individuals and see what if any possibility, but it would be a long shot.

• Baller
Looks like Denver and Houston for the qualifiers.   Not certain about the site in Denver, but the Houston site (Cypress Hill) has held a bunch of high-end tournaments including many Regionals.  Finals to be held at Okeeheelee Park (SOS).

• Baller
Laku is a fantastic site, but still an hour out of Denver.  For better crowds with a decent ski lake you can't beat Sloans Lake - just west of Downtown Denver.  Either way it would be great to see it come to Colorado!

• Baller

CommentAuthorjdarwin

CommentTime3 days ago

"Looks like Denver and Houston for the qualifiers.   Not certain about the site in Denver, but the Houston site (Cypress Hill) has held a bunch of high-end tournaments including many Regionals.  Finals to be held at Okeeheelee Park (SOS). "

As far as I know, we (Okeeheelee) are not doing the Big Dawg finals. I believe the search for Big Dawg sites for 2010 includes looking for a finals site.