On side snap

AJL6

Hi - this is my first post.

Can anyone explain the reasons for on side snap ( the ski finishes to hard at the end of my 2-4 turn) is there a technique alteration to focus on, or a fin/ binding adjustment that could help reduce this happening.

Thanks in advance 

• Baller

Analyzing technique is always a good starting point, but a well-tuned ski is essential.

What ski, size, your weight, binding & fin settings? Speed, line length? If more details provided; you'll get great info here.

Assuming binding location reasonable, if onsides are too quick & sharp (overturning) you might want to check if the fin is too far forward (DFT too great) and too shallow (depth < stock) from factory recommendations. 

Typically evaulaute technique (e.g., handle control into onside, reach), binding postion, then fin/wing settings.

The ski is a 67 elite my weight is 170lbs, front binding reflex, rear Animal, i ski at 34mph between 22 and mid 35, my settings are front boot 29 3/8, rear boot 18, depth 2.508, length 6.837 tips, tail  0.685 head, wing 8deg,

thanks for any help 

• Baller

AJL,

Is your dft really 0.685 or is that a typo? If that is what it's set at, it may be that the fin is so far back that it's leveraging too much of the tip of the ski down into the water. The elite seems to have a softer tip than most skis. When that soft tip gets in it can bite.

Good luck with it. lkb

• Baller

AJL6-

I do this often and in my case it is a result of not transitioning from one edge to another edge soon enough in my pre turn.  Then I end up carrying too much speed into the ball and I end up with more of a "Z" turn instead of a nice "S" turn.  Not sure if it applies in your case but that is what happens to me often.

• Baller

You may be reaching for the handle.  Keep your outside elbow pinned on your vest and essentially ski your hand to the handle.  Doing that might help you avoid overturning.  

I tried my friends 67 Elite for a couple of sets and really liked it a lot.  My previous ski was a red and blue 67 sixam so it felt very familiar to me.  The first few passes were a little sketchy but once I figured out the ski new where to go it became a lot easier.  When I relaxed and was quiet on the ski it did everthing I was trying to force it to only better with less effort!